Article

Actinomyces species: A Danish Survey on Human Infections and Microbiological Characteristics.

Department of Bacteriology, Mycology and Parasitology, Statens Serum Institute, Copenhagen, Departments of Clinical Microbiology.
The Open Microbiology Journal 02/2009; 3:113-20. DOI: 10.2174/1874285800903010113
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT This study compared phenotypic and genotypic identification of Actinomyces strains, tested susceptibility to antibiotics and evaluated their clinical importance. Thirty-four Actinomyces strains were examined; sixteen type strains, and 18 clinical strains from different hospitals in Denmark from the period 2003-2005. Partial 16S rDNA sequencing using a stretch of 526 bases was used for genotypic identification. Susceptibility testing was done by E-test. The antibiotics examined were: benzylpenicillin, piperacillin with tazobactam, ceftriaxone, meropenem, erythromycin, clindamycin, linezolid, moxifloxacin, tetracycline and tigecycline. Clinical parameters were obtained by reviewing patient records. There was poor agreement between the phenotypic and genotypic identification. Phenotypic tests were helpful in identifying strains closely related by DNA sequences. The strains were sensitive to the examined antibiotics except for moxifloxacin to which most strains were resistant, and a few strains were resistant to meropenem and tetracycline. The clinical strains were from many different types of infections and locations. None of the patients was described as having typical actinomycetic lesions, and an apparently good outcome was obtained with different treatment regimens.

0 Bookmarks
 · 
243 Views
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Bacteremia due to Actinomyces neuii has been reported in the literature 14 times. A. neuii is an endogenous organism that has been cultured in clinical specimens of the genitourinary tract; we are reporting a unique case of Actinomyces neuii postoperative testicular abscess with bacteremia which was successfully treated with surgery and a short course of parenteral antimicrobials.
    IDCases. 01/2014;
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: We describe the first case of bacteremia due to Actinomyces urogenitalis. Bacteremia was secondary to a tubo-ovarian abscess following transvaginal oocyte retrieval. Identification was established by MALDI-TOF MS and confirmed by 16S rRNA gene sequencing. A. urogenitalis should be considered as a potential causative agent of infection after gynecological procedures.
    Journal of clinical microbiology 09/2013; · 4.16 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: There have been few studies of pulmonary actinomycosis, which is an uncommon anaerobic infection. Consequently, the optimal therapeutic regimen, appropriate duration of treatment, long-term prognosis, and factors predicting prognosis are not well established. We retrospectively reviewed the medical records of histopathologically confirmed cases of pulmonary actinomycosis seen between November 2003 and December 2012. The study included 68 patients with a mean age of 58.4 +/- 11.6 years. Of the 68, initial surgery was performed in 15 patients (22.1%), while the remaining 53 (77.9%) received antibiotic therapy initially. In the initial antibiotic group, 45/53 (84.9%) were cured without relapse (median antibiotic duration 5.3 months). 5/53 (9.4%) patients were refractory medically (median antibiotic duration 9.7 months), and 3/53 (5.7%) experienced a recurrence (median time to relapse 35.3 months). In the initial surgery group, 14/15 (93.3%) were cured and treatment failure occurred in one (6.7%). In the multivariate analysis, the absence of an antibiotic response at 1 month was the only independent factor associated with a poor treatment outcome, with an adjusted odds ratio of 49.2 (95% CI, 3.34-724.30). There was no significant difference in treatment outcome based on the size of the parenchymal lesion, comorbidities, whether intravenous antibiotics were used, antibiotic therapy duration, or whether the initial treatment was surgical. Antibiotic treatment with or without surgery was effective for treatment of pulmonary actinomycosis. Nevertheless, treatment failure or recurrence occurred in a considerable proportion of patients, especially those resistant to the initial antibiotic treatment.
    BMC Infectious Diseases 01/2014; 14(1):10. · 3.03 Impact Factor

Full-text (2 Sources)

Download
29 Downloads
Available from
May 22, 2014