Article

Depressive Symptoms and Suicidal Ideation in Adolescents Accompanying a Parent in Recyclable Trash Collection

The Spanish Journal of Psychology (Impact Factor: 0.74). 01/2014; 17:E13. DOI: 10.1017/sjp.2014.13
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT The relationship between mental health and poverty has been well documented in adults. However, few studies have addressed how low socioeconomic status and psychosocial vulnerabilities may influence depressive symptoms in adolescents. The current study was carried out in a non-randomly selected sample of 239 adolescents whose parents work as ragpickers (waste collectors for recycling) in Brazil. In-person interviews were conducted, and the presence of depressive symptoms and suicidal ideation were assessed using the Children's Depression Inventory (CDI). We observed that 23% (CI±5.34) of the adolescents presented with depressive symptoms and 35% (CI±6.05) had suicidal ideation. Fatigue or loss of energy (p = .012) and irritable mood (p = .013) were significantly higher among boys than girls according to DSM-IV criteria. However, we found no gender differences in DSM-IV criteria for Major Depressive Disorders (MDD) or Dysthymic Disorder (DD) in diminished interest or pleasure, weight loss or weight gain, decreased appetite, sleep problems, feelings of worthlessness, diminished concentration or ability to think, recurrent thoughts of death, suicidal ideation, or low self-esteem. There were no significant gender differences in total CDI score, however a greater percentage of girls presented with depressed mood than boys (29.9% vs. 17.1%, p < .05).

Download full-text

Full-text

Available from: Mara L Cordeiro, Jun 20, 2014
0 Followers
 · 
20 Views
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: OBJECTIVES: To assess, using the self-report questionnaire Children's Depression Inventory (CDI), the rate of depressive symptoms and its distribution by age and gender, in a sample of students. METHODS: Application of the CDI in 463 students, aged 10 to 17. RESULTS: The total mean score was 13.0 with a standard deviation of 7.0 (median = 12.0), for females the score was 14.4 with a standard deviation of 7.2 (median = 13.0) and for males it was 11.1 with a standard deviation of 6.2 (median = 10.0). Using the cut-off score of 19, 20.3% of the students had important indications of depressive symptoms. The age factor had no significance; however, there was a non-significant trend of increasing rates of depressive symptoms in the ages of 10 to 15 and a decreasing trend in the ages of 16 to 17. There was a statistically significant predominance of females above the cut-off score compared to males (72.3% versus 27.7%), with a ratio of 2.6 females for each male. CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that adolescent students have a high level of depressive symptoms, with a clear predominance of females over males, and a probable period of onset concentrated between the ages of 12 and 15 years.
    Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria 01/2002; 24(2). DOI:10.1590/S1516-44462002000200005 · 1.64 Impact Factor
  • The Lancet 03/2006; 367(9510):551-2. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)68199-3 · 39.21 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The social and demographic characteristics of a New Zealand sample of young people making medically serious suicide attempts were examined and compared with those of a control sample of similar age. Using a case control design, 129 young people making serious suicide attempts were contrasted with 153 randomly selected community controls on a series of social and demographic characteristics including educational achievement, socioeconomic status, income, occupation, religious affiliation and ethnicity. The age and gender distribution of the sample, and the methods of suicide attempt, were examined. Almost equal numbers of young males (45.7%) and females (54.3%) made medically serious suicide attempts. The clear majority of serious suicide attempts were by overdose or poisoning (78.3%), with tricyclic antidepressants (38.6%) and paracetamol (37.6%) together accounting for three-quarters (76.2%) of all drug overdoses. Young people who were less well educated and who were from lower socioeconomic backgrounds had elevated risk of serious suicide attempts. Young people from socially disadvantaged backgrounds have elevated risk of serious suicide attempt.
    Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 07/1998; 32(3):349-57. DOI:10.3109/00048679809065527 · 3.77 Impact Factor