Hydrocelectomy under local anaesthesia in a Nigerian adult population.

Department of Surgery, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria.
African health sciences 10/2008; 8(3):160-2.
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Hydrocele is abnormal collection of serous fluid in the tunica vaginalis or a patent processus vaginalis. It is commonly encountered in our practice and often requires surgical treatment. However in our setting and in many underdeveloped countries, availability of general anaesthetic service is poor due to lack of trained personnel and equipment.
To ascertain the practicability and acceptability of hydrocelectomy under sedation and local anaesthesia in Nigerian adults with hydrocele
A prospective study was carried out over a two year period on patients that had hydrocelectomy at the surgery unit of the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex, Wesley Guild Hospital, Ilesa. Consecutive patients with diagnosis of hydrocele who consented had hydrocelectomy using intramuscular diazepam sedation and spermatic-cord block with 0.5% plane xylocaine and the scrotum infiltrated with same along the line of incision.
Fifty adult patients were studied: age range 15-94 years. Eighty percent of the patients had unilateral hydrocele and the commonest type was vaginal hydrocele (94%). All patients had hydrocelectomy, 96% were under local anaesthesia while 4% were converted to general anaesthesia. All patients except one prefer to have future surgery under such local anaesthesia and sedation.
Hydrocelectomy under local anaesthesia and sedation is practicable and was tolerated and accepted by the adults patients studied.

  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The purpose of the study is to introduce our experience of a modified single-port minilaparoscopic technique for the treatment of pediatric hydrocele. Between June 2008 and May 2012, 279 boys (115 communicating hydrocele and 164 "non-communicating" hydrocele, diagnosis based on preoperative physical examination and scrotal ultrasound) underwent the modified single-port minilaparoscopic repair in our institution. During surgery, a 3-mm laparoscope was inserted into the abdomen through a mini-umbilical incision. The hydrocele sac orifice was closed by an extraperitoneal purse-string suture placed around the internal ring with an ordinary taper needle and an endoclose needle. Of all the 279 patients, 16 (5.7 %) were found to have a potential patent processus vaginalis (PPV) on the contralateral side. Of the 164 boys diagnosed with "non-communicating" hydrocele preoperatively, 5 (3.0 %) had no PPV identified in laparoscope and the other 159 (97.0 %) had PPV actually. A total of 274 single-port minilaparoscopic procedures were performed, and all cases were successful without serious complications. The mean operative time was 19.5 and 24.8 min for unilateral and bilateral operations, respectively. Postoperative complications were noted in 4 cases, 2 (0.7 %) patients with scrotal edema, 1 (0.4 %) patient experienced an umbilical hernia, and 1 (0.4 %) patient with suture site abscess. During a median follow-up period of 9 months (range 6-24 months), postoperative hydrocele recurrence was seen in 2 patients (0.7 %). This modified single-port minilaparoscopic technique is a safe, effective, and reliable procedure for pediatric hydroceles.
    World Journal of Urology 02/2014; · 2.89 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: To ascertain the acceptability of minimally access hydrocelectomy through a 2-cm incision and the outcome in terms of morbidity reduction and recurrence rate. Although controversy exists regarding the treatment of hydrocele, hydrocelectomy remains the treatment of choice for hydroceles. However, the standard surgical procedures for hydrocele can cause postoperative discomfort and complications. A total of 42 adult patients, aged 18-56 years, underwent hydrocelectomy as an outpatient procedure using a 2-cm scrotal skin incision and excision of only a small disk of the parietal tunica vaginalis. The operative time was 12-18 minutes (mean 15). The outcome measures included patient satisfaction and postoperative complications. This procedure requires minor dissection and minimal manipulation during treatment. It also resulted in no recurrence and minimal complications and required a short operative time.
    Urology 02/2011; 77(2):487-90. · 2.42 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A number of pathologies can present as groin swellings in adults.Among these, encysted hydrocele of the cord presenting as swelling in an adult is a rare. A case of encysted hydrocele of cord in 36 year old male mimicking as as an irreducible hernia is reported. The diagnosis of hydrocele was made intraoperatively. An excision of the sac was performed.
    Oman medical journal. 07/2009; 24(3):218-9.


Available from