Article

Primer registro de Pteridium caudatum (Dennstaedtiaceae) en la isla de Providencia, Colombia

Acta Biologica Colombiana 06/2011; 16(1):225-232.

ABSTRACT We report for the first time the presence of the invasive fern Pteridium caudatum (L.) Maxon Old Providence Island, Colombia. The species was found as an ornamental plant in house backyards, as well as in the wild in the locality The Peak, the best preserved area of the island. We discuss the ecological implications associated to the presence of this species.

Download full-text

Full-text

Available from: Brigitte Gavio, Aug 15, 2015
0 Followers
 · 
104 Views
  • Source
    • "The vegetation of the islands is classified as transitional forest, finding elements of both the dry forest and tropical rain forest (Gonzalez et al. 1992; Lowy 2000). The natural vegetation has been completely transformed on San Andres and on the island of Old Providence it is relatively well preserved (partially altered) in the higher parts of the island (Marquez 2006; Tobar and Gavio 2011). It has been estimated that 77% of the flora in the Archipelago is endemic and the remaining 23% are introduced species (Lowy 2000). "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: We present an updated list of 532 vascular plant species distributed in 375 genera and 110 families on the islands of San Andres and Old Providence, Colombia, based on a compilation of published literature and some additional observations. The following nine plant species are new plant records for the islands: Cycas circinalis L. (Cycadaceae), Clerodendrum trichotonum Wall., Mentha viridis (L.) L., Ocimum americanum L. var. americanum, O. basilicum var. purpurascens Benth., O. campechianum Mill. (Lamiaceae), Pandanus sp. (Pandanaceae), Duranta repens L. and Lantana involucrata L. (Verbenaceae).
    03/2015; 11(2):1-15. DOI:10.15560/11.2.1618
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Fifty seven new records of vascular plants are reported for the Archipelago of San Andres and Old Providence, part of the International Biosphere Reserve Seaflower. Of these, about 81% have been introduced for agriculture or ornamental purpose. With these introductions, we report ten new families and 30 new genera for the Archipelago. The possible impacts of some of these introductions are discussed.