Article

Infection with high-risk HPV types among female sex workers in northern Vietnam

Department of Viral Infection and International Health, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Journal of Medical Virology (Impact Factor: 2.22). 02/2013; 85(2). DOI: 10.1002/jmv.23456
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Vaccines against two high-risk human papillomavirus (HPV) types, HPV-16, and HPV-18, are in use currently, with high efficacy for preventing infections with these HPV types and consequent cervical cancers. However, circulating HPV types can vary with geography and ethnicity. The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of HPV types and the association between HPV types and abnormal cervical cytology among female sex workers in Northern Vietnam. Cervical swabs and plasma samples were collected from 281 female sex workers at two health centers in Hanoi and Hai Phong in 2009. The HPV L1 gene was amplified by PCR using original and modified GP5(+) /6(+) primers. Amplified PCR products were genotyped by the microarray system GeneSquare (KURABO) and/or clonal sequencing. Of the 281 women, 139 (49.5%) were positive for HPV DNA. Among the HPV-positive samples, 339 strains and 29 different types were identified. Multiple-type and high risk-type HPV infections were found in 85 (61.2%) and 124 (89.2%) women, respectively. The most common genotype was HPV-52, followed by HPV-16, HPV-18, and HPV-58. Abnormal cervical cytology was detected in 3.2% (9/281) of the women, and all of these samples were positive for HPV-DNA. Age ≤25 years and infection with human immunodeficiency virus were associated positively with HPV infection among the women while ever smoking was associated negatively. These results show that HPV-52 is most prevalent among female sex workers in Northern Vietnam, most of whom had normal cervical cytology. This information may be important for designing vaccination strategies in Vietnam. J. Med. Virol. © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

0 Followers
 · 
217 Views
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Human papillomavirus (HPV) has several intragenotypic variants with different geographical and ethnic distributions. This study aimed to elucidate the distribution patterns of E6 and E7 (E6/E7) intragenotypic variants of HPV type 16 (HPV-16), which is most common worldwide, and HPV-52, which is common in Asian countries such as Japan, the Philippines, and Vietnam. In previous studies, genomic DNA samples extracted from cervical swabs were collected from female sex workers in these three countries and found to be positive for HPV-16 or HPV-52. Samples were amplified further for their E6/E7 genes using type-specific primers and analyzed genetically. Seventy-nine HPV-16 E6/E7 genes were analyzed successfully and grouped into three lineages: European (Prototype), European (Asian), and African-2. The prevalences of HPV-16 European (Prototype)/European (Asian) lineages were 19.4%/80.6% (n = 31) in Japan, 75.0%/20.8% (n = 24) in the Philippines, and 0%/95.8% (n = 24) in Vietnam. The 109 HPV-52 E6/E7 genes analyzed successfully were grouped into four lineages, A-D; the prevalences of lineages A/B/C/D were, respectively, 5.1%/92.3%/0%/2.6% in Japan (n = 39), 34.4%/62.5%/0%/3.1% in the Philippines (n = 32), and 15.8%/73.7%/7.9%/2.6% in Vietnam (n = 38). The distribution patterns of HPV-16 and HPV-52 lineages in these countries differed significantly (P < 0.000001 and P = 0.0048, respectively). There was no significant relationship between abnormal cervical cytology and either HPV-16 E6/E7 lineages or specific amino acid mutations, such as E6 D25E, E6 L83V, and E7 N29S. Analysis of HPV-16 and HPV-52 E6/E7 genes can be a useful molecular-epidemiological tool to distinguish geographical diffusion routes of these HPV types in Asia. J. Med. Virol. 85: 1069-1076, 2013. © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
    Journal of Medical Virology 06/2013; 85(6):1069-76. DOI:10.1002/jmv.23566 · 2.22 Impact Factor
  • Source
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The worldwide prevalence of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection is estimated at 9-13 %. Persistent infection can lead to the development of malignant and nonmalignant diseases. Low-risk HPV types are mostly associated with benign lesions such as anogenital warts. In the present systematic review, we examined the impact of smoking on HPV infection and the development of anogenital warts, respectively. A systematic literature search was performed using MEDLINE database for peer-reviewed articles published from January 01, 1985 to November 30, 2013. Pooled rates of HPV prevalence were compared using the chi (2) test. In both genders, smoking is associated with higher incidence and prevalence rates for HPV infection, whereas the latter responds to a dose-effect relationship. The overall HPV prevalence for smoking patients was 48.2 versus 37. 5 % for nonsmoking patients (p < 0.001) (odds ratio (OR) = 1.5, 95 % confidence interval (CI) 1.4-1.7). Smoking does also increase persistence rates for high-risk HPV infection, while this correlation is debatable for low-risk HPV. The incidence and recurrence rates of anogenital warts are significantly increased in smokers. Most current data demonstrate an association between smoking, increased anogenital HPV infection, and development of anogenital warts. These data add to the long list of reasons for making smoking cessation a keystone of patient health.
    International Journal of Colorectal Disease 06/2014; 29(8). DOI:10.1007/s00384-014-1922-y · 2.42 Impact Factor

Full-text

Download
152 Downloads
Available from
Jun 2, 2014