Foreign body in ENT--general practitioner's duty.

Department of ENT, RG Kar Medical College, Kolkata 700004.
Journal of the Indian Medical Association 06/2008; 106(5):307-9.
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Foreign body in ENT region is an age-old problem. Introduction of foreign body in ear, nose and throat is specially seen in children. There are many types of foreign body seen in the ear, nose and throat. They can aspirate into larynx, trachea and bronchus. How to manage the removal of foreign body in ear, nose and throat had been discussed in a nutshell. General practitioners should be skilled enough to remove foreign body with their limited resources and they should know when to send the cases to an ENT specialist or to a hospital.

  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: In children, foreign body aspiration is one of the leading causes of accidental death. We report an interesting case of aspiration of date seed in an infant.
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Foreign bodies in the external auditory canal are common in both adults and children. Removal of the foreign body requires skill, but is usually successfully performed in the emergency department. We report a case of a child with a bullet in ear canal which was pushed into the middle ear during an attempt to remove it. A 6-year-old Thai boy went to the community hospital with his parents, who reported that their child had pushed a bullet into his ear. Otoscopic examination revealed a metallic foreign body in his external auditory canal. The first attempt to remove the foreign body failed and the child was referred to an otolaryngologist. We found that the tympanic membrane was ruptured, with granulation tissue in the middle ear and the bullet was located in the hypotympanum. The foreign body was removed via a post-auricular approach. Removal of a foreign body from external auditory canal is an essential skill for physicians. Careful removal can prevent further trauma and complications. When the first attempt fails, referral to an otolaryngologist is recommended.
    Clinical medicine insights. Case reports. 01/2012; 5:1-4.