Article

The expression of myeloid antigens CD13 and/or CD33 is a marker of ALK+ anaplastic large cell lymphomas.

Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL, USA.
American Journal of Clinical Pathology (Impact Factor: 3.01). 11/2008; 130(4):628-34. DOI: 10.1309/PLN1NA4QB2PC1CMQ
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT We retrospectively studied the immunophenotype by flow cytometry of 20 anaplastic large cell lymphomas (ALCLs) (9 anaplastic lymphoma kinase [ALK]+ and 11 ALK-) with a particular emphasis on the aberrant expression of the myeloid associated antigens CD13 and/or CD33. All ALCLs expressed CD45, HLA-DR, and CD30. Most (8/9) ALK+ ALCLs expressed at least 1 surface T-cell antigen (CD4, 6/9 [67%]; CD7, 6/9 [67%]; CD2, 5/9 [56%]; CD5, 2/9 [22%]; CD8, 2/9 [22%]; CD3, 1/9 [11%]). All ALK-ALCLs expressed at least 1 surface T-cell antigen (CD3, 7/11 [64%]; CD4, 6/11 [55%]; CD2, 6/11 [55%]; CD7, 2/11 [18%]; CD5, 1/11 [9%]; CD8, 1/11 [9%]). CD13 and/or CD33 were expressed in all (9/9) ALK+ ALCLs compared with 1 of 11 ALK-ALCLs (9%) (P < .0001). Surface CD3 was more likely expressed in ALK-ALCLs (7/11) compared with ALK+ ALCLs (1/9) (P .03). The myeloid-associated antigens CD13 and/or CD33 are sensitive but not entirely specific markers of ALK+ ALCLs and should not be misinterpreted as indicating myeloid sarcoma.

0 Bookmarks
 · 
205 Views
  • Journal of Clinical Oncology 06/2013; · 17.88 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Context.-Myeloid sarcoma of the head and neck region can pose diagnostic challenges because of the low frequency of myeloid sarcoma and the potential for tumors of almost any lineage to occur in the head and neck. Objective.-To study the clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical characteristics of myeloid sarcoma in the head and neck region and to review the differential diagnosis. Design.-We searched for cases of myeloid sarcoma involving the head and neck region for a 24-year period at our institution. The medical records and pathology slides were reviewed. Additional immunohistochemical stains were performed. Results.-We identified 17 patients, age 17 to 85 years. Most tumors involved the oral cavity. Myeloid sarcoma was the initial diagnosis in 9 patients (53%); the remaining 8 patients (47%) had a history of bone marrow disease. Immunohistochemical analysis using antibodies specific for lysozyme, CD43, and CD68 were highly sensitive for diagnosis but were not specific. By contrast, assessment for myeloperoxidase in this study was less sensitive but more specific. We also used antibodies specific for CD11c and CD33 in a subset of cases, and these reagents seem helpful as well. Conclusions.-The clinical presentation of myeloid sarcoma involving the head and neck, particularly the mouth, is often nonspecific, and a high degree of suspicion for the possibility of myeloid sarcoma is needed. Immunohistochemistry is very helpful for establishing the diagnosis.
    Archives of pathology & laboratory medicine 03/2013; · 2.88 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Pediatric non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHLs) are a heterogeneous group of malignancies with distinct clinical, pathological, immunological and genetic characteristics. More than 90% of pediatric NHLs belong to one of three major histological subtypes: mature B-cell neoplasms, lymphoblastic lymphomas and anaplastic large-cell lymphomas. The recognition that different subtypes require different treatment regimens resulted in therapeutic strategies leading to over 80% of patients being cured. On the other hand, patients with resistant or relapsed disease have a poor prognosis. Prognostic biomarkers have not yet been identified for all pediatric NHLs and, although some are very important for diagnosis and prognosis, others may be of questionable value. Discovery of new biomarkers suitable for clinical application may aid the diagnosis and classification of lymphomas, which should, in turn, lead to better patient stratification. Consequent development of new treatment and follow-up approaches should lead to more efficient and less toxic treatment in children with NHL.
    Biomarkers in Medicine 10/2013; 7(5):791-801. · 3.22 Impact Factor

Preview

Download
1 Download
Available from