Effect of lucerne preservation method on the feed value of forage

CITA-Aragón, P.O. Box 727, 50080 Zaragoza, Spain
Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture (Impact Factor: 1.71). 09/2009; 89(12):1991 - 1996. DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.3676


BACKGROUND: Natural climatic wilt (NCW) and induced industrial wilt (IIW) are widely used as preservation methods for lucerne. Both of these methods reduce the quality of green forage due to respiration under NCW and heat damage under IIW. We compared the influence of these two preservation methods on nutritive value across a wide range of harvest conditions.RESULTS: Cell wall content and cell wall-linked nitrogen values were higher (P < 0.05) in IIW than NCW. The preservation methods differed significantly (P < 0.05) in terms of soluble fraction, insoluble potentially degradable fraction of dry matter and effective degradability of dry matter. Nitrogen disappearance kinetics showed that the interactions of preservation by cut and preservation by phenological state were significant for the effective degradability of nitrogen. Organic matter digestibility was higher in lucerne preserved by NCW than IIW whereas cell wall digestibility was higher in lucerne preserved by IIW than NCW. Digestible organic matter intake did not differ between preservation methods (P > 0.05).CONCLUSION: Natural climatic wilt forage hay presents similar feed value to the induced industrial wilt alfalfa. Copyright © 2009 Society of Chemical Industry

1 Follower
12 Reads
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: An experiment was carried out in 2006 in the Ebro Valley of Spain to test the differences in chemical composition, ruminal degradation, in vivo digestibility and intake between lucerne hays cut at sunrise (AM) or at sunset (PM). Measurements were carried out at 0·50 flowering during spring, summer and autumn growth cycles. PM hays showed higher contents of soluble carbohydrates, starch and total non-structural carbohydrates than AM hays. No significant differences between times of cutting were found for crude protein, neutral detergent fibre, acid detergent fibre or acid detergent lignin. Effective degradability of dry matter (DM) was higher in autumn PM hay (0·57±0·008) than AM hay (0·47±0·008). No differences between times of cutting were found for hays cut in spring or summer. Effective degradability of nitrogen was significantly higher in summer and autumn PM hays than in AM hays. However, degradability did not differ significantly between times of cutting for the hays cut in spring. Differences in organic matter digestibility averaged 0·02±0·008 in spring and 0·05±0·008 in autumn, but no differences were found between cutting times for lucerne hays in summer. For DM intake, differences between PM and AM hays were significant in spring (57±2·0 v. 46±2·0 g/kg BW0·75, respectively) and summer (60±2·0 v. 52±2·0 g/kg BW0·75, respectively), but not significant in autumn (55±2·0 v. 51±2·0 g/kg BW0·75, respectively). Finally, digestible organic matter intake in sheep was higher for PM (34±1·3, 36±1·3 and 32±1·3 g/kg BW0·75) than for AM hays (27±1·3, 30±1·3 and 27±1·3 g/kg BW0·75) in spring, summer and autumn, respectively. In conclusion, cutting lucerne at sunset could be a simple management strategy for improving the feed value of hays.
    The Journal of Agricultural Science 03/2012; 150(02):263 - 270. DOI:10.1017/S0021859611000542 · 0.65 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The kinetics of the dehydration of alfalfa stems, leaves and the whole alfalfa plant (Medicago sativa L) was studied experimentally at lab-scale using a fixed-bed dryer with warm air at 328, 333, 338 and 343 K. Following the evaluation of the influence of bed thickness, air mass rate and air temperature on the kinetics of drying, a kinetic model of globalised parameters is proposed. The kinetic model was designed to simulate the exchange of moisture between alfalfa and the surrounding air and the variation of temperature inside the substrates with time simultaneously. In a first step, the kinetic model was applied to stems and leaves separately. The model reproduced 94.4% and 70.1% of the moisture experimental results obtained for stems and leaves, respectively, within an error band of 15%. Moreover, 95% of the experimental results regarding the variation of temperature inside stems with time were simulated. The kinetic model was then applied to the whole alfalfa plant considering its content of stems (60% wet weight) and leaves (40% wet weight) using the same kinetic parameters and variables fixed for their single modelling. The model reproduced 82.2% of the moisture experimental results obtained for the drying of the whole alfalfa plant. This kinetic model could be a useful tool for the design of a drying device based on scientific evidence.
    Biosystems Engineering 11/2014; 129. DOI:10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2014.10.007 · 1.62 Impact Factor