Article

Toxic effects of cyclonite (C‐4) plastic explosive ingestion in a dog

Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care 10/2008; 18(5):537 - 540. DOI: 10.1111/j.1476-4431.2008.00345.x

ABSTRACT Objective – To describe the clinical manifestations following cyclonite (C-4) plastic explosive ingestion in a dog.Case Summary – A 2-year-old male castrated Labrador working dog weighing 35 kg was presented for seizures shortly after ingestion of C-4. The dog was successfully treated for the seizures, but developed polyuria/polydipsia shortly after being discharged and was ultimately diagnosed with chronic kidney disease.New or Unique Information Provided – This is the first documented case of renal insufficiency in a dog after C-4 intoxication.

1 Follower
 · 
398 Views
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Intoxication with explosives or fireworks in dogs or cats is not common, but serious toxicosis can result from exposure to different types of explosives depending on the chemical class of explosive involved. This article will discuss the different types of materials/chemicals, clinical signs of toxicosis, and their treatment. Despite the complexities of explosives and plethora of different devices currently in use worldwide, the toxic potential is more easily explained by looking at the relatively short list of chemical classes used to produce these materials. This article combines structurally similar explosives into different groups and focuses on the toxicity of the most commonly available explosives.
    Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice 03/2012; 42(2):361-73, viii. DOI:10.1016/j.cvsm.2011.12.011 · 1.04 Impact Factor