Morphological analysis of systolic anterior motion after mitral valve repair

Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Teikyo University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan.
Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery (Impact Factor: 1.16). 05/2012; 15(2):235-9. DOI: 10.1093/icvts/ivs023
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT The systolic anterior motion (SAM) of mitral valves occurs at a certain rate despite the introduction of several preventive procedures. The purpose of this study was to investigate its mechanism by analysing the change in mitral valve morphology associated with operative procedures.
Components of mitral valves were measured before and after operative procedures by transoesophageal echocardiography in 179 patients who underwent mitral valve repair. Comparisons were made between 15 patients with SAM (SAM group) and 164 patients without SAM (non-SAM group).
Morphological analysis in all the studied patients revealed that operative procedures shifted the coaptation point towards the left ventricular outflow tract by 6.9 mm and increased the extra portion of anterior leaflet that extended beyond the coaptation point by 5.4 mm. These changes were enhanced in the SAM group. Intergroup comparison revealed that there were no differences in the preoperative mitral valve morphologies between the two groups. After operative procedures, however, the SAM group showed smaller annular diameter and smaller coapted anterior/posterior length ratio compared with the non-SAM group.
The results of this study show that operative procedures might modify the morphology of mitral valves susceptible to developing SAM. Postoperative smaller annular diameter and anterior shift of coaptation point were considered to contribute to the development of SAM.

12 Reads
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Objectives Mitral valve (MV) regurgitation is a common manifestation in patients with Marfan syndrome (MFS) and is age dependent. Valve pathology shares some features with myxomatous MV disease. Surgical treatment is still being debated and not well characterized in patients with MFS. Patients and Methods We retrospectively evaluated the results of mitral valve repair (MVR) of symptomatic patients with MFS who underwent surgery between January 2004 and April 2011. MFS was diagnosed following the Ghent criteria. MVR was performed in 12 patients. Three patients underwent minimally invasive MVR despite severe thorax deformities. Mean follow-up was 60.1 months (95% CI: 48-72) and was complete. ResultsThirty-day mortality was 0%. One patient died because of arrhythmia 66 months after MVR. Transthoracic echocardiography at last visit showed mild mitral regurgitation in one patient (8.3%) and no mitral regurgitation in the remaining patients (91.7%). ConclusionMVR was associated with excellent survival and a low rate of complications. Transthoracic echocardiography showed good results of the repaired valves even years later. Minimally invasive repairs are feasible even in deformed thoraces, lowering the risk for future aortic surgery. Because of excellent mid-term to long-term results, MVR may also be justified in asymptomatic Marfan patients.
    The Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon 07/2013; 62(1). DOI:10.1055/s-0033-1348919 · 0.98 Impact Factor
  • Anesthesia & Analgesia 06/2014; 118(6):1197-201. DOI:10.1213/ANE.0000000000000196 · 3.47 Impact Factor