Article

Pyrolytic carbon arthroplasty for the proximal interphalangeal joint: results after minimum 3 years of follow-up

St. Thomas Hospital, London, UK.
The Journal of hand surgery, European volume 04/2012; 37(6):501-5. DOI: 10.1177/1753193412443044
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT A retrospective study was undertaken to review the outcomes of a consecutive series of patients treated using pyrocarbon surface replacement arthroplasty by the same surgeon. We analyzed the results of this procedure in 24 proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joints in 19 hands of 16 patients. The minimum follow-up was 3 years. The study showed that pyrocarbon PIP joint replacements provided excellent pain relief and high patient satisfaction. More than two-thirds of patients subjectively rated postoperative range of motion and functional outcomes as better than preoperatively. Objective assessment showed a modest improvement in the active range of motion, which did not achieve statistical significance, although we did observe a statistically significant increase in passive range of motion. The results are encouraging for those surgeons who seek an alternative to silicone implant PIP joint arthroplasty in high-demand patients.

0 Followers
 · 
157 Views
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The Ascension PyroCarbon proximal interphalangeal (PIP) total joint is used in osteoarthritis of the PIP finger joint. No systematic study of the positioning of this prosthesis and its relation to proximal and middle phalanx morphology has yet been reported. Positioning of the proximal and distal components of the Ascension PyroCarbon PIP total joint was radiographically analysed in 152 human cadaver fingers. Ideal implant position in the axis of the phalanx and with contact of the implant head with bone in both the frontal and sagittal planes was seen in only 33 % of the phalanges. Implant malposition was observed in the remaining 67 % of phalanges. The current design of the Ascension PyroCarbon PIP total joint can lead to malpositioning that we attribute to its incomplete accommodation of the morphology of the proximal and middle phalanx, the surgical challenges the design poses, or both acting together.
    Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery 12/2014; 135(2). DOI:10.1007/s00402-014-2133-2 · 1.31 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Pyrocarbon arthroplasty of the proximal interphalangeal joint (PIPJ) has been reported to provide excellent pain relief when treating osteoarthritis of the hand. We retrospectively reviewed 20 PIPJ arthroplasties performed on 14 patients by a single surgeon using Ascension prosthesis. The mean follow up period was 3.5 years (range 1-7 years). Excellent pain relief was noted at the final follows-up. The mean range of motion improved from 40° pre-operatively to 70° post-operatively which was statistically significant. Twelve patients had significant improvement in quality of life and would consider similar procedure for other fingers. Radiological assessment revealed an average of 1 mm subsidence and there was no correlation noted between subsidence, migration and ROM at the final follow-up. Stiffness was the main complication and was comparable with other studies. The results of this series are encouraging and demonstrate excellent to good outcome in 86% of patients at the mid-term follow-up.
    Hand Surgery 01/2014; 19(1):77-83. DOI:10.1142/S0218810414500130
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Results of anatomical resurfacing of the proximal interphalangeal joint using pyrocarbon implants showed reasonable clinical results with a high radiographic migration rate. The aim was to investigate the subjective, clinical, and radiographic results 10 years following surgery, and to compare them with our 2-year follow-up data. We re-evaluated 12 patients with 15 proximal interphalangeal implants on average 9.7 years after surgery. Pain significantly improved from 7.6 on a visual analogue scale pre-operatively to 1.4 at 2 years, and to 0.7 at the final follow-up. The mean total range of motion in all replaced joints was 36° pre-operatively and 39° at the 2-year follow-up, but had decreased significantly to 29° at 10 years. We saw one implant migration in addition to the eight migrated implants we already found 2 years after surgery. The moderate clinical results, combined with the high migration rate, mean that we no longer use this kind of implant.
    01/2014; 39(6). DOI:10.1177/1753193413511922