Article

Greenhouse gas abatement strategies for animal husbandry

Wageningen University and Research Centre, Agrotechnology and Food Innovations, Livestock Environment, P.O. Box 17, 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands; Wageningen University and Research Centre, Department of Nutrition and Food, Animal Science Group, Lelystad, The Netherlands; Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research, North Wyke Research Station, Okehampton, Devon, UK
Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment (Impact Factor: 3.2). 02/2006; DOI: 10.1016/j.agee.2005.08.015
Source: OAI

ABSTRACT Agriculture contributes significantly to the anthropogenic emissions of non-CO2 greenhouse gases methane and nitrous oxide. In this paper, a review is presented of the agriculture related sources of methane and nitrous oxide, and of the main strategies for mitigation. The rumen is the most important source of methane production, especially in cattle husbandry. Less, but still substantial, amounts of methane are produced from cattle manures. In pig and poultry husbandry, most methane originates from manures. The main sources of nitrous oxide are: nitrogen fertilisers, land applied animal manure, and urine deposited by grazing animals. Most effective mitigation strategies for methane comprise a source approach, i.e. changing animals’ diets towards greater efficiencies. Methane emissions, however, can also be effectively reduced by optimal use of the gas produced from manures, e.g. for energy production. Frequent and complete manure removal from animal housing, combined with on-farm biogas production is an example of an integrated on-farm solution. Reduced fertiliser nitrogen input, optimal fertiliser form, adding nitrification inhibitors, land drainage management, and reduced land compaction by restricted grazing are the best ways to mitigate nitrous oxide emissions from farm land, whereas, management of bedding material and solid manure reduce nitrous oxide emissions from housing and storage. Other than for methane, mitigation measures for nitrous oxide interact with other important environmental issues, like reduction of nitrate leaching and ammonia emission. Mitigation strategies for reduction of the greenhouse gases should also minimize pollution swapping.

2 Bookmarks
 · 
124 Views
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Thirty-five available feeds were fermented in vitro in order to investigate their soluble total organic carbon (TOCs) and methane (CH4) production rate. A fermentation reactor was designed to capture the CH4 gas emitted and to collect liquor from the reactor during in vitro fermentation. The results showed that CH4 production rate greatly varied among feeds with different ingredients. The lowest CH4-producing feeds were corn gluten feed, brewer's grain, and orchard grass among the energy, protein, and forage feed groups, respectively. Significant differences (p<0.05) were found in digestibility, soluble total organic carbon (TOCs), and CH4 emissions among feeds, during 48 h of in vitro fermentation. Digestibility and TOCs was not found to be related due to different fermentation pattern of each but TOCs production was directly proportional to CH4 production (y = 0.0076x, r(2) = 0.83). From this in vitro study, TOCs production could be used as an indirect index for estimation of CH4 emission from feed ingredients.
    Asian Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences 04/2012; 25(4):496-501. · 0.64 Impact Factor
  • Source
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A structured, pre-tested and peer-reviewed questionnaire was used for collecting data pertaining to location, stock type and density, husbandry methods, feed sources, water sources for farm use and waste disposal methods, from 19 farms situated in 4 local government areas of Ogun State, Nigeria. Of the farms 58% practiced mixed animal husbandry consisting of poultry birds, large and small ruminants, swine, rabbits and fish, while the remainder (42%) raised only chickens. The results also showed that 26% of the farms sun-dried and burned animal manure, 21% converted animal wastes into slurry that was flushed into nearby streams and rivers, 37% used the wastes as manure on farmlands or dumped them in bushes, garbage sites or open wastelands, while 16% of the farms practiced a combination of all these methods. It is concluded that animal waste management by poultry farmers in the state is inefficient, implying inadequate awareness of the potential negative impact of poor handling of animal wastes in the environment. There is a need for further studies to assess the magnitude of the risk posed to the environment, livestock and human health by poor animal waste management practices in the area.
    Journal of Food Agriculture and Environment 11/2011; 9(3&4):643-645. · 0.44 Impact Factor

Full-text (2 Sources)

Download
6 Downloads
Available from
Jun 27, 2014