Spontaneous uterine activity during the oestrous cycle of the camel (Camelus dromedarius)

Camel Research Centre, College of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Resources, King Faisal University, P.O. Box 1757, Al-Ahsa 31982, Saudi Arabia
Animal Reproduction Science (Impact Factor: 1.51). 07/1993; 32(1-2):91-97. DOI: 10.1016/0378-4320(93)90060-5


Spontaneous uterine activity was studied in three cyclical female camels implanted with balloon-tipped catheters connected to pressure transducers. Another camel was not operated upon. The frequency of contractions in both horns varied from zero to a maximum of 90 h−1, whereas the amplitude of contractions varied from zero to a maximum of 3.5 kPa during the experimental period. Uterine activity was higher in the left horn. Concentrations of oestradiol-17β increased as the follicle grew in size in the non-operated camel. The pattern of uterine activity was correlated with the circulating levels of oestradiol-17β (r=0.83, P<0.001, n=3). It was concluded that uterine activity in the camel is dependent on oestrogen level.

2 Reads
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Ovarian activity (follicular and luteal) as well as the uterine echotexture were investigated in female camel (Camelus dromedarius) in absence of (experiment 1) and after (experiment 2) mating. Experiment 1 was conducted on 20 non-mated females by daily ultrasonography of the genital tract over a period of 2 months. Results of this experiment showed that in absence of ovulation, follicular activity is continuous with overlapping follicular waves distributed equally on both ovaries. The recruitment and development of the follicle took 9.5 ± 2.8 days. Mature follicular size was between 10 and 25 mm (15.2 ± 2.4 mm) and lasted 5.7 ± 4.5 days. The mature follicle regressed after a period of plateau in 59% of the waves and developed into a large non-ovulating (anovulatory) follicle in the remaining 41%. The anovulatory follicles reached a mean maximum size of 58.3 ± 8.5 mm and lasted 16.2 ± 8.1 days. Anovulatory follicles did not have any effect on the emergence and development of new follicular waves. In experiment 2, 113 females were bred to a fertile male when the dominant follicle had reached 10 to 18 mm and the uterus showed maximum tone and oedema. The incidence of ovulation after mating was 95.4% in single ovulators with a pregnancy rate of 78.5%. The corpus luteum (CL) was easily visible with ultrasonography starting 5 days post-breeding and its size reached a maximum of 16.5 ± 2.3 mm at day 8, then regressed slowly after day 10 post-breeding. The tone of the uterus was reduced and the echotexture was homogenous in the presence of a mature CL. Presence of a CL did not inhibit development of new follicular waves. In absence of pregnancy, females had at least one mature follicle and were ready to be bred 13.3 ± 1.8 days after the first mating. Ultrasound pregnancy diagnosis was possible as early as 15 days post-breeding and CL of pregnancy continued to grow and reached a maximum size of 23.8 ± 3.2 mm in diameter after 21 days. It was concluded that increased efficiency in the management of reproduction can be achieved through the monitoring of reproductive events with the help of ultrasonography. This technique is also very helpful in monitoring donors and recipients in an embryo transfer programme.
    Journal of Camel Practice and Research 12/1996; 3(2):71-90. · 0.09 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Bilateral ovariectomy was performed in three parous, non-pregnant camels. Intrauterine and intraabdominal pressure changes were recorded using balloon-tipped catheters. Uterine contractions were induced and maintained in the ovariectomized camels by daily intramuscular injections of 5 mg oestradiol benzoate throughout the experimental period. The frequency of uterine contractions varied from 6 to 9 per minute, whereas the amplitude varied from 2 to 3 kPa in all the animals. Inducing hypocalcaemia to a level of 0.5 mmol/L by Na2EDTA reduced the amplitude of the contractions to below 1 kPa (p < 0.001). The frequency of the contractions was not affected.
    Veterinary Research Communications 02/1997; 21(1):45-50. DOI:10.1023/B:VERC.0000009700.44186.99 · 1.24 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The article reviews aspects of the basic reproductive biology of the camel, such as puberty, breeding season, ovarian dynamics, synchronisation of ovarian activity and artificial insemination, and superovulation and embryo transfer. Pregnancy and parturition are also discussed.
    Animal Reproduction Science 08/2000; 60-61:583-92. DOI:10.1016/S0378-4320(00)00134-2 · 1.51 Impact Factor
Show more