Article

Suppression of helium bubble growth in palladium by prior cold working

Materials Science Division, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam 603 102, India; Department of Physics, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin 682 022, India
Journal of Nuclear Materials (Impact Factor: 2.02). 07/1996; DOI: 10.1016/0022-3115(96)00359-5

ABSTRACT Growth of helium bubbles in palladium, having different pre-irradiation sample treatments and subsequently implanted with 50 appm of helium, has been investigated by positron lifetime spectroscopy. Presence of dislocations has been found to enhance the density of nucleated bubbles. A suppression of helium bubble growth due to the presence of dislocations is established. Bubble growth is reduced by over-pressure in dislocation-containing samples.

0 Bookmarks
 · 
53 Views
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Palladium tritides at the initial tritium/palladium (T/Pd) atomic ratio of 0.65 were prepared by gaseous P–V–T method. The 3He release behavior in the aged palladium tritides for 604, 1265 and 2168 days with the initial tritium/palladium atomic ratio of 0.65, has been studied by the methods of D–T isotopes exchange and aqua regia dissolution separately. The results of D–T exchange experiment show that the 3He release ratios in these three different time aged palladium tritides are 1.7%, 2.1% and 3.3%, leaving more than 96.7% 3He kept in palladium tritides Lattice. A similar result can also been obtained by aqua regia dissolution method, and the 3He release ratios are 2.0%, 2.9% and 3.3% by comparison. The similarity reveals a strong 3He retain ability of palladium tritides. The experimental data by two methods agree well with each other.
    Journal of Nuclear Materials 05/2012; 424(s 1–3):216–219. · 2.02 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Applicability of positron annihilation spectroscopy in probing the microstructural changes in ferritic steels has been investigated with thermal treatment studies on modified 9Cr–1Mo steel, during 300–1273 K. Positron lifetime results are compared with those of ultrasonic velocity and hardness techniques with two initial microstructural conditions i.e., normalized and tempered condition as well as only normalized condition. In first case, positron lifetime is found to be sensitive to small changes in metal carbide precipitation which could not be probed by other two techniques. In later case, positron lifetime is found to be sensitive to defect annealing until 673 K and in distinguishing the growth and coarsening of metal carbide precipitation stages during 773–1073 K. The present study suggests that by combining positron lifetime, ultrasonic velocity and hardness measurements, it is possible to distinguish distinct microstructures occurring at different stages.
    Journal of Nuclear Materials 01/2013; 432(s 1–3):266–273. · 2.02 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The relationships between graduation grade point average (GPA), class ranking, performance in graduate studies, employment opportunities, and locations of employment of graduates of Tennessee State University are studied on the basis of graduation GPA and employment information on 326 graduates of the B.S. in Electrical Engineering program from May 1972 until August 1989. The data on graduates and the graduation GPA was retrieved from student records in the department. The information on student employment and graduate studies was collected from annual alumni surveys, interviews with returning alumni during homecomings, and recruitment trips. The student records were compiled according to graduation dates. For the purpose of data analysis, the graduation GPA has been divided into 16 groups, with Group 1 being 2.00 to 2.125. It is found that the graduates are equally distributed in the process and utility industries and the federal service, although those with higher GPAs are pursuing graduate study and going to the electronics/computer industry. The incentives provided by corporations to pursue graduate study on a full-time basis have been most beneficial and fully utilized by the graduates and is reflected in a very high percentage of graduates pursuing graduate work
    Fusion Engineering and Design - FUSION ENG DES. 01/1990;