Seroprevalence and trends in transfusion transmitted infections among blood donors in a university hospital blood bank: a 5 year study.
ABSTRACT Blood is life. Transfusion of blood and blood components, as a specialized modality of patient management saves millions of lives worldwide each year and reduce morbidity. It is well known that blood transfusion is associated with a large number of complications, some are only trivial and others are potentially life threatening, demanding for meticulous pretransfusion testing and screening particularly for transfusion transmissible infections (TTI). These TTI are a threat to blood safety. The priority objective of BTS is thus to ensure safety, adequacy, accessibility and efficiency of blood supply at all levels. The objective of the present study was to assess the prevalence and trend of transfusion transmitted infections (TTI) among voluntary and replacement donors in the Department of Blood bank and transfusion Medicine of JSS College Hospital, a teaching hospital of Mysore during the period from 2004 to 2008. A retrospective review of donors record covering the period between 2004 and 2008 at the blood bank, JSS Hospital, Mysore was carried out. All samples were screened for HIV, HBsAg, HCV, syphilis and malaria. Of the 39,060, 25,303 (64.78%) were voluntary donors and the remaining 13,757 (35.22%) were replacement donors. The overall prevalence of HIV, HbsAg, HCV and syphilis were 0.44, 1.27, 0.23 and 0.28%, respectively. No blood donor tested showed positivity for malarial parasite. Majority were voluntary donors with male preponderance. In all the markers tested there was increased prevalence of TTI among the replacement donors as compared to voluntary donors. With the implementation of strict donor criteria and use of sensitive screening tests, it may be possible to reduce the incidence of TTI in the Indian scenario.
Article: Increasing prevalence of HIV antibody among blood donors monitored over 9 years in one blood bank.[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: To determine the time trend of HIV infection among non-professional blood donors at the Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, the annual HIV prevalence among them for the years 1993-1997 was compared with that of the previous 5 yr. Since confirmed number of HIV positive blood donors is required for calculation of prevalence, the serum samples which were reactive for HIV 1/2 antibody by ELISA, were confirmed by Western blot. The annual prevalence of HIV antibody gradually increased from 1.6 per 1000 in 1988-1989, to 3.8 per 1000 in 1996-1997. The mean tri-annual prevalences for the years 1988-91, 1991-94 and 1994-97 were 1.3, 2.7 and 3.6 per 1000 respectively, suggesting a slow but steady increase in HIV prevalence over time. Our findings provide an insight into the dynamics of HIV infection in the general population of our country, whom the nonprofessional blood donors at our hospital represent.The Indian journal of medical research 09/1998; 108:42-4. · 1.84 Impact Factor