Article

Agronomic Study of Fenugreek Grown under Different In-Row Spacing and Nitrogen Levels in a Paddy Field of Iran

American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci., 10 (4): 544-550, 2011 01/2011;

ABSTRACT Abstract: The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of different levels of nitrogen and plant
density on yield and yield components of Fenugreek. This study was conducted at Guilan region (Iran) in a
Paddy field during 2008-2009 cropping season. The experiment was carried out using split plots based on
randomized complete block design with 4 replications. Four levels of nitrogen (0, 25, 50 and 75 kg N haG1) as
the main factor and four levels of plant density (60, 80, 100 and 120 plants mG2) as sub-plots were investigated.
Result indicated that nitrogen fertilizer effect was significant on number of pods per branch, number of pods
per plant, seed yield and biological yield. Plant density significantly a ffected biological yield (p<0.05).
The highest seed yield (1468 kg haG1) was produced by using 75 kg N haG1. There was positive and significant
correlation between seed yield and biological yield. According to mean comparisons of simple effects,
the highest biological yield belonged to 75 kg N haG1 and 120 plants mG2, respectively.

4 Followers
 · 
601 Views
  • Source
    • "DeLougherty and Crookston (1978) reported that with increasing population density a significant decline in HI would be achieved; however, the HI values were greatly increased by increasing the plant densities, according to findings of Danesh-Shahraki et al. (2008). By contrast, Zandi et al. (2011) showed that plant population densities did not affect significantly harvest index. They found the harvest index (HI) to be relatively stable. "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A field experiment was conducted to evaluate the effect of variety and different plant densities on growth and yield of rapeseed mustard during Rabi 2011-12 under rainfed conditions at Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Four varieties (BARI Sarisha-13, BARI Sarisha-15, BARI Sarisha-16 and SAU Sarisha-3) and four plant densities (10, 40, 70 and 100 plants m -2) were applied during the course of study. Results indicated that both variety and plant density has significant effects on growth and seed yield of rapeseed mustard. BARI Sarisha-13 (V1) performed well in terms of Branches plant -1 (6.14), Siliqua plant -1 (126.90), seeds siliqua -1 (25.36) and 1000 seed weight (4.00). Branches plant -1 (6.84) and Siliqua plant -1 (95.04) significantly increased by decreasing plant density due to less competition among plants for moisture, light and nutrients. Maximum seed yield (1.60 t ha -1) was recorded for BARI Sarisha-13 with 70 plants m -2 (V1P3). Thus, it is concluded that BARI Sarisha-13 should be grown at 70 plants m -2 for higher yield output. Introduction Rapeseed-mustard is one of the most important and widely grown oilseed crops of Bangladesh occupying 0.483 million ha and the production was 0.525 million Mt and yield 0.109 million Mt ha -1 in 2011-12(AIS, 2013). It is an important source of cooking oil in Bangladesh meeting one third of the edible oil requirement of the country (Ahmed, 2008). It is not only a high energy food but also a carrier of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) in the body. Bangladesh has been facing acute shortage of edible oil for the last several decades. Our internal production can meet only about 21% of our consumption. The rest 79 % is met from the import (Begum et al. 2012). It needs to import oil and oilseeds to meet up the deficit every year spending huge foreign exchange. The average per hectare yield of mustard in this country is alarmingly very poor compared to that of advanced countries like Germany, France, UK and Canada producing 6667 kg ha -1
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: To understand the effect of plant density and amounts of nitrogen fertilizer on some agronomic characteristics of Indian mustard, an experiment was laid out as a randomized complete block design with split-plot arrangement with three replications. Nitrogen fertilizer levels (0, 50, 100, 150 and 200 kg N/ha) were allotted to main plots and subplots were consisted of three levels of plant densities (80, 100 and 120 plants/ m2). The results indicated that, plant density had a highly significant effect on plant height, seed/siliqua, siliqua/plant, seed yield, biologic yield, 1000-seed weight, oil content and oil yield (p<0.01). All tested traits (qualitative and quantitative ones) were significantly affected by nitrogen fertilizer (p<0.01). Nitrogen×plant density interaction also significantly affected all tested traits (p<0.05) except for plant height and siliqua/plant. Our findings suggest that for semi-arid zone of Takestan, Indian mustard due to its high adaptation to arid conditions can be a good option for spring rapeseed replacement.