Article

Suicide by electrocution.

Dept. of Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Medicine, science, and the law (Impact Factor: 0.76). 08/1990; 30(3):219-20. DOI: 10.1177/002580249003000309
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Electrocution is a rare mode of suicide. In Sri Lanka, where the suicide rate is extremely high, ingestion of liquid pesticides is the commonest method used. The case of a 34-year-old labourer of the Electricity Board, who committed suicide using 220-240 volt domestic electricity supply is described. He had been suffering from a depressive illness for some time. Suicide by electrocution has not been documented in Sri Lanka before.

2 Followers
 · 
449 Views
 · 
0 Downloads
  • Source
    • "Electrocution is an uncommon cause of death and occurs commonly due to accident (Fernando and Liyanage 1990; Fatovich 1992). Electrocution deaths cause approximately 1,000 deaths each year in the USA (Fontanarosa 1993). "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Electrical burns are responsible for considerable morbidity and mortality, and are usually preventable with simple safety measures. We conducted a retrospective study of non-lightening electrocution deaths in Diyarbakir, Turkey between 1996 and 2002. All 123 deaths investigated were accidental. The age range was 2 to 63 years with a mean age of 20.7 +/- 15.3 years. Eighty-six victims (69.9%) were male. The upper extremity was the most frequently involved contact site in 96 deaths (48%). No electrical burn mark was present in 14 (11.4%) cases. Home accidents were responsible for 56 cases deaths (45.5%). Deaths were caused most frequently by touching an electrical wire (52 cases, 42.3%). There was an increase in electrocution deaths in the summer (47 cases, 38.2%). One hundred one cases (82.1%) were dead on arrival at hospital. The unique findings of our study include younger age (0-10 years) of victims (39 cases, 31.7%) and a means of electrocution (electrical water heaters in bathroom) in 23 cases (18.7%). Rate of deaths due to electrocution among all medicolegal deaths was found higher in our study than in previous studies. The public should be educated to prevent children to play near electrical appliances and to avoid electrical heaters in the bathroom.
    The Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine 03/2006; 208(2):141-5. DOI:10.1620/tjem.208.141 · 1.28 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Electric shock causes injury and death through a variety of mechanisms. The proper treatment of a patient with electric shock depends upon the nature of the injuries sustained. The primary electric injuries to be expected depend in large part on the type of electric energy source, the amount and duration of current flow, and the parts of the body affected. Secondary injury can be caused by trauma associated with the electric accident such as falls and explosions.
    Journal of Emergency Medicine 05/1993; 11(3):309-12. DOI:10.1016/0736-4679(93)90051-8 · 1.18 Impact Factor
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A male infant aged one year and nine months was found dead on a bed after admission to hospital with suspected pneumonia. The patient apparently put an uncovered oval shaped lamp switch (pendant switch) into his mouth and died of electric shock after contacting the exposed wires of the switch (100 V, 60 Hz alternating current). There were extensive first- to fourth-degree burns on the inner surface of the both lips. Because the histological findings were consistent with electric burns and the burns showed vital reactions, electric shock was judged to be the cause of death. The pendant switch is normally a very convenient piece of bedside equipment for inpatients. However, when the patient is an infant who naturally puts all the objects into the mouth, such a switch should be placed out of reach, and it should be certain that the cap is not loose.
    Journal of Forensic Sciences 02/1997; 42(1):151-4. · 1.31 Impact Factor
Show more