Print ISSN: 0355-3140 Electronic ISSN: 1795-990X Copyright (c) Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health
Downloaded from www.sjweh.fi on January 06, 2012
Scand J Work Environ Health 1989;15 suppl 1:27-33
Effects of thermal stress on human performance.
by Enander AE
Affiliation: Swedish Defence Research Establishment, Karlstad,
This article in PubMed: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2692138
51. Massey PMO. Finger numbness and temperature in Ant-
arctica. J Appl Physiol 1959;14:616-20.
52. Enander A, Skoldstrom B, Holmer I. Reactions to hand
cooling in workers occupationallyexposed to cold. Scand
J Work Environ Health 1980;6:58-65.
53. Gamberale F, Holmer I. Heart rate and perceived exer-
tion in simulated work with high heat stress. In: Borg
G, ed. Physical work and effort. New York, NY: Per-
gamon Press, 1977:323-32. (Wenner-gren Center in-
ternational symposium series 28.)
54. Clark RE, Jones CEoManual performance during cold
exposure as a function of practice leveland the thermal
conditions of training. J Appl PsychoI1962;46:276-80.
55. Enander A. Effects of practice conditions on manual
performance in moderate cold. In: Enander A. Senso-
ry reactions and performance in moderate cold. Stock-
holm: Arbetarskyddsverket, 1986:VI: 1-17. (Arbete och
56. Rogers WHoThe effect of cold training and the wear-
ing of gloveson manual performance in the cold: a com-
parison of pure ability and operational tasks. Groton,
CT: Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory,
1985. (NSMRL report no 1067.)
57. Teichner WH, Wehrkamp RF. Visual-motor perfor-
mance as a function ofshort-duration ambient temper-
ature. J Exp Psychol 1954;47:447-50.
58. Coleshaw SRK, Van Someren RNM, Wolff AH, Davis
HM, Keatinge WR. Impaired memory registration and
speed of reasoning caused by low body temperature. J
Appl Physiol 1983;55:27-31.
59. Hancock PA. Environmental stressors. In: Warm JS,
ed. Sustained attention in human performance. New
York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, 1984: 104-42.
60. Hancock PA. The effect ofskill on performance under
an environmental stressor. Aviat Space Environ Med
61. Wenzel HG, Ilmarinen R. Effects ofenvironmental heat
on performance and some physiological responses of a
man during a psychomotor task. J Hum Ergol (Tokyo)
62. Poulton EC, Freeman PRo Unwanted asymmetrical
transfer effects with balanced experimental designs. Psy-
chol Bull 1966;66:1-8.
63. Friedland N, Keinan G. Stressors and tasks: how and
when should stressors be introduced during training for
task performance in stressful situations. J Human Stress