Article

Mutagenicity of N-acetyl and N,N'-diacetyl derivatives of 3 aromatic amines used as epoxy-resin hardeners.

Toxicology Laboratory, Toray Industries Inc., 2-7-35 Sonoyama, Otsu 520, Japan; Toray Research Center Inc., 3-2-1 Sonoyama, Otsu 520, Japan
Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis (Impact Factor: 3.9). 01/1985; 143(1-2):11-5. DOI:10.1016/0165-7992(85)90097-1
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT 3 epoxy-resin hardeners, 4,4'-diaminodiphenyl ether (DDE), 4,4'-diaminodiphenylmethane (DDM), and 4,4'-diaminodiphenylsulfone (DDS), and their N-acetyl and N,N'-diacetyl derivatives were examined for their mutagenicity using Salmonella typhimurium TA98 and TA100 as the tester stains and an S9 mix containing a rat-liver 9000 X g supernatant fraction as the metabolic activation system. DDE and DDM were mutagenic towards TA98 and TA100 in the presence of S9 mix while DDS exhibited no significant mutagenic activity towards these tester strains. These epoxy-resin hardeners were metabolized in vivo and their N-acetyl and N,N'-diacetyl metabolites were found in the urine. Among these acetyl metabolites, only N-acetyl-DDE was found to be mutagenic towards TA98 and TA100 in the presence of S9 mix. None of these acetyl metabolites exhibited significant mutagenic activity towards these tester strains in the absence of S9 mix.

0 0
 · 
0 Bookmarks
 · 
28 Views
  • [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: This survey is a compendium of genotoxicity and carcinogenicity information of 838 marketed drugs, whose expected clinical use is continuous for at least 6 months or intermittent over an extended period of time. Of these 838 drugs, 366 (43.7%) do not have retrievable genotoxicity or carcinogenicity data. The remaining 472 (56.3%) have at least one genotoxicity or carcinogenicity test result. Of the 449 drugs with at least one genotoxicity test result, 183 (40.8%) have at least one positive finding. Of the 338 drugs with at least one carcinogenicity test result, 160 (47.3%) have at least one positive result. Concerning the predictivity of genetic toxicology findings for long-term carcinogenesis assays, of the 315 drugs which have both genotoxicity and carcinogenicity data 116 (36.8%) are neither genotoxic nor carcinogenic, 50 (15.9%) are non-carcinogens which test positive in at least one genotoxicity assay, 75 (23.8%) are carcinogenic in at least one sex of mice or rats but test negative in genotoxicity assays, and 74 (23.5%) are both genotoxic and carcinogenic. Only 208 (24.8%) of the 838 drugs considered have all data required by current guidelines for testing of pharmaceuticals. However, it should be noted that a large fraction of the drugs considered were developed and marketed prior to the present regulatory climate. Although the laws do not require re-testing based on revised standards, in the absence of epidemiological studies excluding a carcinogenic risk to humans, a re-evalutation would be appropriate.
    Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis 10/2008; 681(2-3):209-29. · 3.90 Impact Factor
  • [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: This review provides a compendium of retrievable results of genotoxicity and animal carcinogenicity studies performed of antibacterial, antiviral, antimalarial and antifungal drugs of long-term or intermittent frequent use. Of the 48 drugs considered, 9 (18.75%) do not have retrievable data, whereas the other 39 (81.25%) have at least one genotoxicity or carcinogenicity tests result. Of these 39 drugs, 24 tested positive in at least one genotoxicity assay and 19 in at least one carcinogenicity assay; 14 of them gave a positive response in both at least one genotoxicity assay and at least one carcinogenicity assay. Concerning the predictivity of genetic toxicology findings for the results of long-term carcinogenesis assays, of 23 drugs with both genotoxicity and carcinogenicity data: 2 (8.7%) were neither genotoxic nor carcinogenic, 2 (8.7%) tested positive in at least one genotoxicity assay but were non-carcinogenic, 4 (17.4%) tested negative in genotoxicity assays but were carcinogenic, and 15 (65.2%) gave a positive response in at least one genotoxicity assay and in at least one carcinogenicity assay. Only 18 (37.5%) of the 48 drugs examined had all data required by present guidelines for testing of pharmaceuticals, but a fraction of them (49%) were developed and marketed prior to the present regulatory climate. In the absence of compelling indications, the prescription of the 19 drugs that are animal carcinogens should be avoided.
    Mutagenesis 01/2012; 27(4):387-413. · 3.50 Impact Factor
  • [show abstract] [hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: 4,4'-Diaminodiphenyl ether was selected as a lead compound to prepare a novel series of bisimine derivatives bearing polyaromatic hydrocarbon substituents and their reduced benzyl forms. The new compounds were structurally characterized by microanalysis, mass, IR, (1)H, (13)C, DEPT-135, HSQC, g-COSY NMR spectroscopy, UV-visible, fluorescence spectrophotometers and by thermogravimetric analysis. The antitumor activity of these derivatives was evaluated in-vitro against Hep 3B and IMR 32 by the MTT assay and the results were compared with cisplatin. Interestingly, some compounds were found extremely active against both the cell lines and proved to be more potent as cytotoxic agents than cisplatin. Morphological evidences suggest the induction of apoptosis and explain the mode of action of these derivatives as antitumor agents.
    European journal of medicinal chemistry 01/2014; 74C:552-561. · 3.27 Impact Factor

K Tanaka