Article

The carcinogenic effects of low level radiation. A re-appraisal of epidemiologists methods and observations.

Health Physics (Impact Factor: 0.77). 03/1973; 24(2):223-40. DOI: 10.1097/00004032-197302000-00002
Source: PubMed
1 Follower
 · 
67 Views
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Deaths in the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (REFR) Life Span Study (LSS) sample have been determined for the 4 years 1975-1978, and mortality examined for the 28 years since 1950. An analysis of cancer mortality is presented separately. In this report, we examine whether mortality from causes other than cancer is also increased or whether a nonspecific acceleration of aging occurs. 1. Cumulative mortality from causes other than cancer, estimated by the life table method, does not increase with radiation dose in either city, in either sex, or in any of the five different age-at-the-time-of-bomb groups. 2. No specific cause of death, other than cancer, exhibits a significant relationship with A-bomb exposure. Thus there is still no evidence of a nonspecific acceleration of aging due to radiation in this cohort. 3. Mortality before the LSS sample was established has been reanalyzed using three supplementary mortality surveys to determine the magnitude of the possible bias from the exclusion of deaths prior to 1950. It is unlikely that such a bias seriously affects the interpretation of the radiation effects observed in the cohort after 1950. 4. No excess of deaths from leukemia or other malignant tumors is observed among early entrants into these cities in this cohort.
    Radiation Research 09/1982; 91(2):243-64. DOI:10.2307/3575833 · 2.45 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: To present our experience to describe diagnosis and management of symptomatic ureteric stones during pregnancy. Thirty-six pregnant women with symptomatic ureteric stones were evaluated in this study. The diagnosis was done by history, physical examination, symptoms, signs, ultrasonography, or ureteroscopy if needed. Initially, conservative management was performed on all patients. When conservative treatment failed, temporizing therapies (double-J stenting or percutaneous nephrostomy [PCN]) and (ureteroscopic lithotripsy) URSL were performed on the patients. In 25 (69.4%) of the patients, ureteric stones was diagnosed on US. In the other 11 (30.6%) of the patients, definitive diagnosis was done by ureteroscopy in 5, and 6 of them passed their stones spontaneously. Conservative management was successful in 24 of 36 (66.6%) the patients. Temporizing therapies and URSL were required in 12 of 36 (33.4%) patients. A double-J stent was successfully placed in only 3 (8.3%) of the patients, and URSL was performed in 9 (25%). In 1 (2.7%) patient, PCN was performed because of persistent renal colic, fever, and pyonephrosis. In this patient, URSL was performed after symptoms and signs resolved, and then the percutaneous tube was removed. If ultrasonography fails, ureteroscopy may be an alternative approach for definitive diagnosis. When conservative approach fails, URSL may be a good alternative approach for definitive treatment.
    Urology 12/2011; 79(3):508-12. DOI:10.1016/j.urology.2011.10.023 · 2.13 Impact Factor
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Frequencies of HPRT- mutant T cells were determined by means of a direct clonal assay in atomic bomb survivors who showed outlying values of chromosome aberration frequencies. The studied survivors consisted of 2 groups: those whose aberration frequency was near the higher end of the distribution (high-aberration group) and those whose aberration frequency was near the lower end of the distribution (low-aberration group). The mean radiation doses (T65D) of the high-aberration group (13 people) and low-aberration group (17 people) were 248 and 273 rad, respectively. The mean mutant frequency (Mf) of the high-aberration group was 6.7 X 10(-6), which was significantly higher than that of the low-aberration group (3.7 X 10(-6)) or that of 17 controls (3.4 X 10(-6)). When all the samples were combined, the correlation between Mf and radiation dose was not significant using either dose estimation system, T65D or DS86. However, the correlation coefficient was higher when DS86 doses were used. Mf correlated significantly with increasing aberration frequencies. The tendency that Mf correlates better with chromosome aberration frequency than with estimated radiation dose was stronger in this study than in a previous study where the samples were selected randomly.
    Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis 12/1988; 202(1):203-8. DOI:10.1016/0027-5107(88)90183-2 · 4.44 Impact Factor