Crisis intervention in a general hospital.
ABSTRACT This paper presents the data of 90 patients admitted consecutively for crisis intervention in the psychiatric ward of the National University Hospital, Singapore. There were 48 men and 42 women; their mean age was 31.4 years (SD +/- 12.9). More women (73%) had relationship problems than men but more men (52%) had work related problems-the difference is significant (p < 0.01). The commonest diagnoses were depression (45%) and adjustment reaction (24%). The mean duration of hospitalisation was 4.3 days (SD +/- 2.3). The majority of patients (63%) were managed by supportive psychotherapy and the remaining 37% by supportive psychotherapy and medication. On follow up after one month, 20% of the sample were well, 62% improved and 18% were not better. About 85% of the sample could be contacted after 3 months, and of these, 51% were well, 39% improved but 10% were still not better. The efficacy of crisis intervention is briefly discussed.