[Wertheim-Meigs procedure. 10-year results].
Serviço de Ginecologia, Hospitais da Universidade de Coimbra.Acta médica portuguesa (Impact Factor: 0.36). 10/1997; 10(10):631-6.
Wertheim-Meigs hysterectomy is used in the treatment of cervical cancer, but since 1988 we have also used it to stage and treat endometrial carcinoma. To evaluate the morbidity of Wertheim Meigs hysterectomy as well as node invasion incidence and its correlation with other prognostic factors, the authors made a retrospective study of 112 patients, from October 1986 to March 1996. Among the 112 cases evaluated, 52% had cervical carcinoma and 48% had endometrial carcinoma; mean ages were 45 +/- 10 and 60 +/- 8 years (p < 0.005). FIGO stage distribution was: I-94.8 and 33.3%; II-5.2 and 51.9%; III-0 and 13%; IV-0 and 1.8%, for cervical and endometrial carcinoma. Hemorrhagic and traumatic accidents happened in 24.3% and 1.7% respectively. We had 15.5% early post operative complications and 1.7% late post operative ones. The mean duration of surgery and hospitalization was 163 +/- 29 minutes and 10 +/- 5 days. Pelvic lymphadenectomy was performed in 70% of patients and para-aortic nodes were also excised in the other 30%. The mean number of lymphatic nodes excised were 17 +/- 9. Pelvic node invasion was found in 9% and in 3.7% of para-aortic ones. When we studied endometrial cancer, we found a positive correlation between external myometrium invasion and lymphovascular invasion and positive node (p < 0.05). From the data available we may conclude that the complication rate of Wertheim Meigs is quite important, even though all but one complication were transitory. It may be possible to make a better selection of patients who need this surgical procedure by correct evaluation of risk factors.
Data provided are for informational purposes only. Although carefully collected, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The impact factor represents a rough estimation of the journal's impact factor and does not reflect the actual current impact factor. Publisher conditions are provided by RoMEO. Differing provisions from the publisher's actual policy or licence agreement may be applicable.