[Cost of antibiotic therapy in neutropenic patients undergoing peripheral blood stem cell transplantation for breast cancer].
ABSTRACT The increase in pharmaceutical costs, especially for expensive procedures such as bone marrow transplants, has led to the study of the economic impact of febrile neutropenia in peripheral blood stem cell transplantation (PBSCT). We analyzed 89 consecutive patients with breast cancer who underwent PBSCT. All patients developed febrile neutropenia and were administered an empirical intravenous regimen based on the combination of piperacillin-tazobactam and amikacin. We analyzed the direct costs of this treatment and grouped them into drug acquisition cost, administration costs (cost of the additional material), and preparation costs (time employed for the preparation and administration of the drug). We found that the overall cost was $1,110, 65% of which corresponded to the initial therapy and the rest (35%) to the use of additional antibiotics. This higher cost was especially related to the use of vancomycin or teicoplanin (50%). The acquisition costs accounted for 90% of the overall treatment costs. Thirty-six patients (40%) did not need additional antibiotics and the cost in this group was less ($663). We concluded that knowledge of the costs of pharmacological therapy for infection in PBSCT is indispensable for the appropriate development of treatment units, especially in terms of optimizing resources and comparing different therapeutic or prophylactic approaches.