[Cystic dystrophia of the duodenal wall with aberrant pancreas. Value of magnetic resonance imaging for diagnosis].
ABSTRACT Cystic dystrophy of the duodenal wall is characterized by the development of cysts in heterotopic pancreatic tissue localized in the duodenal wall. Diagnosis is difficult and endosonography is considered as the most useful investigation.
A 40-year-old man was hospitalized for abdominal pain triggered by ingestion of alcoholic beverages and for vomiting after food intake. The diagnosis of acute atypical cephalic pancreatitis was initially made. Magnetic resonance cholangiography then magnetic resonance imaging suggested the diagnosis of cystic dystrophy of the duodenal wall in a heterotopic pancreas which was confirmed by endosonography.
Magnetic resonance imaging evidenced several cystic formations within a thickened duodenal wall leading to the correct diagnosis. MRI appears to provide all the elements necessary for the diagnosis of cystic dystrophy of the duodenal wall, avoiding the need for invasive investigations.
SourceAvailable from: Giorgio Diamantis[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Cystic dystrophy in heterotopic pancreas is a rare and serious condition. Diagnosis is difficult because of non-specific clinical manifestations and radiologic and endoscopic imaging are pivotal. Therapeutic management is still under debate. We describe a case of cystic dystrophy of the duodenal wall in heterotopic pancreas complicated with chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic cystadenoma. Computed tomography and magnetic resonance are very useful in demonstrating the presence of cysts in a thickened duodenal wall but, for the most part, endoscopic ultrasonography is the most useful imaging examination. The choice of different therapeutic options is still under debate; although some authors have proposed a medical approach using octreotide or endoscopic treatment for selected patients, a pancreaticoduodenectomy is usually proposed for symptomatic patients. When surgery is needed, a pancreaticoduodenectomy is preferred, reserving by-pass procedures for high risk patients. Because of the non-specific clinical manifestation and the very difficult diagnosis and therapeutic management, these patients should be studied and treated in specialized and dedicated centers.JOP: Journal of the pancreas 02/2008; 9(6):725-32.
[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Cystic dystrophy of heterotopic pancreas, groove pancreatitis, pancreatic hamartoma of the duodenum, paraduodenal wall cyst, and myoadenomatosis are all terms grouped together, from a pathological viewpoint, as definitions of paraduodenal pancreatitis (PP). The objective of the present study was to investigate the clinical characteristics, therapeutic strategies, and results in 58 patients undergoing pancreatic resection for PP. From January 1990 to December 2006 data were prospectively collected on 58 patients who were diagnosed with PP who then underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy. In this patient cohort the median age was 44.7 years; only 4 patients were women, and only 3 had non-drinker and/or non smoker habits. The overall morbidity was 18.9%, and the median hospitalization was 11 days. There were no postoperative deaths. In a median follow-up of 96.3 months, all patients noted a decrease in the pain associated with PP; 35 patients (76%) had complete disappearance of pain, whereas occasional relapsing pain occurred in the remaining 11 (24%). Patients with PP have clinical characteristics similar to those of chronic pancreatitis. The diagnostic imaging modalities of choice are ultrasonographic endoscopy and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreaticography. Based on our surgical experience, pancreaticoduodenectomy seems to be a reasonable choice of treatment in patients with PP.World Journal of Surgery 10/2009; 33(12):2664-9. DOI:10.1007/s00268-009-0238-5 · 2.35 Impact Factor
[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Optimal management of cystic dystrophy of a heterotopic duodenal pancreas or cystic dystrophy of the duodenal wall has not yet been established. Surgical treatment by pancreaticoduodenectomy or by-pass procedure is indicated in patients with the most serious symptoms. Endoscopic cystic drainage is an alternative to surgery. We report three cases of cystic dystrophy of the duodenal wall successfully treated by endoscopic drainage. Symptoms disappeared immediately in all cases. No complications were observed. In one case, a second drainage was necessary 15 months after the first one. The 3 patients were free of symptoms after 6, 36, and 44 months of follow-up, respectively. No recurrence was found with CT-scan. The long-term efficiency of the endoscopic procedure must to be evaluated.Gastroentérologie Clinique et Biologique 11/2004; 28(11):1159-1164. DOI:10.1016/S0399-8320(04)95198-6 · 1.14 Impact Factor