Immunogenicity of an E1-deleted recombinant human adenovirus against rabies by different routes of administration

Impfstoffwerk Dessau-Tornau GmbH, PO Box 214, 06855 Rosslau, Germany.
Journal of General Virology (Impact Factor: 3.53). 10/2001; 82(Pt 9):2191-7.
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT The immunogenic properties of an E1-deleted, human adenovirus type 5 (Ad5) vaccine virus with activity against rabies were examined in mice, foxes and dogs using different routes of administration. NMRI mice received 10(5.8), 10(5.3), 10(4.3), 10(3.3) and 10(2.3) TCID(50) by peroral or intramuscular (i.m.) administration. Furthermore, six mice received 10(5.8) TCID(50) intracerebrally (i.c.). The construct elicited marked seroconversion in mice after oral administration. Immunoreactivity in mice was even more pronounced i.m. and i.c. After direct oral administration (10(8.0) TCID(50)) in foxes, six of eight animals developed rabies virus-neutralizing antibodies (VNA). All foxes immunized by direct injection (10(7.7) TCID(50)) in the membrane of the jejunum were shown to seroconvert. Pre-existing immunity against canine adenovirus did not hinder the development of rabies VNA after oral application of the construct (10(8.0) TCID(50)). Fox cubs (24-29 days old) born from rabies-immune vixens were shown to develop very high levels of rabies VNA after i.m. administration (10(8.0) TCID(50)), indicating that the immunogenicity of the construct could surpass maternally transferred immunity. In dogs, the construct (10(8.0) TCID(50)) induced a very strong immune response after i.m. administration. However, no immune response was detectable in dogs after direct oral administration (10(8.3) TCID(50)) or after endoscopic deposition in the smaller intestine (10(8.0) TCID(50)). Hence, it must be concluded that the construct is not suitable for oral vaccination of dogs against rabies.

  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Fishing net wastes generating from fisheries amounts to about 2,000 tons/year. Most fishing net wastes are made with only a single type of plastic and they are suited to recycling. As for disposal of fishing net wastes, “material recycling” and “chemical recycling” are now positioned as a rational and efficient method. Of the wasted netting materials, polyethylene and nylon are mostly conductive to material and chemical recycling. At present, the recycling of fishing net wastes is still limited in quantity, but has been increasing inch by inch in these years. Expanded polystyrene is largely utilized for containers and packaging materials in fishery, agriculture and electrical appliances, and its output amounts to 209,000 tons in 2000. Of this, 183,000 tons are discharged after use and disposed. About 45% of total wastes were disposed by incineration and landfill. The remaining 55% (100,000 tons) are being used to recover resources from wastes. Of the remaining portion, 33% (60,400 tons) is used in material recycling and 23% (39,600 tons) in thermal recycling. Recycled products have frequently been used again as packaging material for household and electrical appliances, and gardening pots, etc. A part of the recycled products is exported to Asian countries as raw materials to manufacturing other products.
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The objective of this study was to determine if a replication defective recombinant adenovirus expressing rabies virus glycoprotein ( given through a non-invasive vaccination route (by topical application) onto the skin (NIVS) could elicit an immune response and/or protection against rabies. Groups of mice were immunized by NIVS with various doses of For comparison, groups of mice were immunized intramuscularly, subcutaneously, or intradermally with Mice received two booster immunizations at 1 and 2 months after the first immunization. Virus neutralizing antibody (VNA) titers were measured at day 21 after the first and second immunizations and at day 14 after the third immunization. Fifty percent of the mice immunized by NIVS with 2 x 10(7) and 2 x 10(8)pfu vaccine developed VNA, whereas none of the control mice or the mice immunized by NIVS with the lowest dose (2 x 10(6)pfu) of virus developed VNA. However, this low dose induced high titers of VNA in mice immunized by parenteral routes. Two weeks after the last immunization, all the mice were challenged with a lethal dose of rabies virus. More than 70% of the animals immunized by NIVS with > or = 2 x 10(7)pfu virus survived the challenge, whereas all the mice in the negative control group and the group immunized by NIVS with the lowest dose of succumbed to rabies. Taken together, the results suggest that NIVS with can induce VNA production and protection against lethal challenge with rabies virus in mice.
    Veterinary Microbiology 04/2002; 85(4):295-303. DOI:10.1016/S0378-1135(01)00523-5 · 2.73 Impact Factor
Show more


Available from