[Retrospective analysis of Fusobacterium associated infections; experience at Aomori Prefectural Hospital with 108 cases from 1995 to 1999].
ABSTRACT We experienced 108 cases of Fusobacterium associated infections, including otolaryngeal, oral, pleuropulmonary, intraabdominal, skin and soft tissue infections, at Aomori Prefectural Hospital during The 5 year-period from 1995 to 1999. A total of 433 organisms, included 113 Fusobacterium spp. (80 Fusobacterium nucleatum, 18 Fusobaterium necrophorum, 5 Fusobacterium varium, 4 Fusobacterium mortiferum, 6 Fusobacterium spp.), were recovered with an average of 4.0 organisms per case of the 108 cases, 68% were mixed aerobic and anaerobic and yielded 185 anaerobic bacteria (2.5 per case) and 137 aerobic bacteria (1.9 per case) with an average of 4.4 per case. The remaining 32% were purely anaerobic and yielded 111 organisms with an average of 3.2 per case, Prevotella spp., Bacteroides fragilis group, Streptococcus milleri group, Enterobacteriaceae, Peptostreptococcus spp. Staphylococcus spp. were most frequently coisolated with Fusobacterium spp.
[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Bacteremia due to Fusobacterium spp. is unusual (<10% of cases of anaerobic bacteremia), and the isolation of Fusobacterium varium is especially uncommon. The most probable sources of Fusobacterium bacteremia are the respiratory, the gastrointestinal, and the genitourinary tracts. A.-M. Bourgault et al. (Clin. Infect. Dis. 25[Suppl. 2]:181-183) described 40 patients with Fusobacterium bacteremia; only 3 had Fusobacterium varium, and no one had decubitus scars as the portal of entry. In another published series (S. Henry, A. De Maria, and W. R. McCabe, Am. J. Med. 75:225-231, 1983) of 26 cases, two patients had concomitant pulmonary lesions and decubitus ulcers but there was no identification to the species level mentioned. We report a case of Fusobacterium varium bacteremia and infected sacral decubitus ulcer in an elderly patient.Journal of Clinical Microbiology 08/2005; 43(8):4293-5. · 4.15 Impact Factor