Article

Measuring the parental, service and cost impacts of children with autistic spectrum disorder: A pilot study

Centre for the Economics of Mental Health, Health Service Research Department, The David Goldberg Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK.
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders (Impact Factor: 3.34). 09/2003; 33(4):395-402. DOI: 10.1023/A:1025058711465
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT The aim of this study was to carry out a preliminary examination of a research instrument developed specifically to collect cost information for individuals with autistic spectrum disorder. There is very little cost information on children or adults with autism or autism-related disorder, and no study appears to have carried out a specific cost collection in this area. Although some global cost estimates can be made, little is known about the cost implications of parental burden. By using different techniques to collect indirect costs, the study outlines a functional methodology. Results from this small pilot study point to considerable economic burden for parents and give some indication of the associated costs of autistic spectrum disorder.

Download full-text

Full-text

Available from: Martin Knapp, Jul 28, 2015
1 Follower
 · 
109 Views
  • Source
    • "Neurodevelopmental disorders are relatively common and pose a substantial challenge to society (Froehlich et al., 2007; Jarbrink et al., 2003; Kogan et al., 2008; Newton, 2012). For some conditions the diagnosis rates have increased , but the reasons behind these apparent time trends remain largely unknown. "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Background: Recent studies have reported associations between air pollution exposure and neurodevelopmental disorders in children, but the role of pre- and postnatal exposure has not been elucidated. Aim: We aimed to explore the risk for autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) among children in relation to pre- and postnatal exposure to air pollution from road traffic. Methods: Parents of 3,426 twins born in Stockholm during 1992-2000 were interviewed, when their children were 9 or 12 years old, for symptoms of neurodevelopmental disorders. Residence time-weighted concentrations of particulate matter with a diameter <10 μm (PM10) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) from road traffic were estimated at participants' addresses during pregnancy, the first year, and the ninth year of life using dispersion modeling, controlling for seasonal variation. Multivariate regression models were used to examine the association between air pollution exposure and neurodevelopmental outcomes, adjusting for potential confounding factors. Results: No clear or consistent associations were found between air pollution exposure during any of the three time windows and any of the neurodevelopmental outcomes. For example, a 5-95% difference in exposure to NOx during pregnancy was associated with odds ratios (ORs) of 0.92 (95% confidence interval (CI): 0.44-1.96) and 0.90 (95% CI: 0.58-1.40) for ASD and ADHD respectively. A corresponding range in exposure to PM10 during pregnancy was related to ORs of 1.01 (95% CI: 0.52-1.96) and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.68-1.47) for ASD and ADHD. Conclusions: Our data do not provide support for an association between pre- or postnatal exposure to air pollution from road traffic and neurodevelopmental disorders in children.
    Twin Research and Human Genetics 09/2014; DOI:10.1017/thg.2014.58 · 1.92 Impact Factor
  • Source
    • "Previous research has found that the costs of autism in childhood are borne primarily by both publicly funded services (health, education, social services) and families (Barrett et al., 2011; Jarbrink et al., 2003). One study estimated that the total costs of supporting children with ASD in the United Kingdom was approximated at £2.7 billion per year, of which 95% was accounted for by services funded by the state with the remaining 5% falling to families (Knapp et al., 2009). "
  • Source
    • "Previous research has found that the costs of autism in childhood are borne primarily by both publicly funded services (health, education, social services) and families (Barrett et al., 2011; Jarbrink et al., 2003). One study estimated that the total costs of supporting children with ASD in the United Kingdom was approximated at £2.7 billion per year, of which 95% was accounted for by services funded by the state with the remaining 5% falling to families (Knapp et al., 2009). "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Autism spectrum disorder is a complex condition that requires specialised care. Knowledge of the costs of autism spectrum disorder, especially in comparison with other conditions, may be useful to galvanise policymakers and leverage investment in education and intervention to mitigate aspects of autism spectrum disorder that negatively impact individuals with the disorder and their families. This article describes the services and associated costs for four groups of individuals: adolescents with autistic disorder, adolescents with other autism spectrum disorders, adolescents with other special educational needs and typically developing adolescents using data from a large, well-characterised cohort assessed as part of the UK Special Needs and Autism Project at the age of 12 years. Average total costs per participant over 6 months were highest in the autistic disorder group (£11,029), followed by the special educational needs group (£9268), the broader autism spectrum disorder group (£8968) and the typically developing group (£2954). Specialised day or residential schooling accounted for the vast majority of costs. In regression analysis, lower age and lower adaptive functioning were associated with higher costs in the groups with an autism spectrum disorder. Sex, ethnicity, number of International Classification of Diseases (10th revision) symptoms, autism spectrum disorder symptom scores and levels of mental health difficulties were not associated with cost.
    Autism 06/2014; 19(5). DOI:10.1177/1362361314536626 · 3.50 Impact Factor
Show more