Article: ASA score as prognostic criterion for incidence of postoperative complications after transhiatal esophagectomy.V Golubović, S Golubović[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: The aim of this study is to point out the importance of the American Society of Anesthesiologists risk score (ASA score) as a very cheap and simple prognostic criterion for the incidence and severity of postoperative complications of transhiatal esophagectomy (THE). During the past ten years, twenty-nine patients were operated for cancer of the esophagus using the THE method at the University Hospital Center "Rijeka". Patients' preoperative physical status was estimated using the 19 parameters of ASA score and they were classified into ASA risk groups. The incidence and severity of the two most common and potentially fatal postoperative complications of THE--aspiration pneumonia and anastomotic leak--were compared with the patients ASA score as well as with the duration of postoperative hospital stay and operative mortality. Postoperative complications after THE, even with lethal outcome occurred only in patients with high ASA score (ASA risk group IV and V). Our conclusion is that ASA score has proven to be a reliable and useful prognostic criterion for the development of postoperative complications after THE and for the incidence of operative mortality.Collegium antropologicum 01/2003; 26 Suppl:149-53. · 0.61 Impact Factor
German journal of ophthalmology 05/1993; 2(2):133-4.
[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: We report the case of a 12-year-old girl who was hospitalized for bilateral uveitis that occurred 2 years after a penetrating injury of the left eye. On admission, all clinical signs of sympathetic ophthalmia were present with visual function reduced to light perception and intact projection in the right eye and light perception without intact projection in the left. Ultrasonography confirmed that the retina was in its proper place in both eyes. Since abrasion of the corneal epithelium and decalcification of the cornea with ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid had been performed on the right eye, it was decided to proceed with pars-plana lensectomy and vitrectomy in the same (better preserved) eye. The surgery was performed as planned, with an uneventful postoperative course. Three years later, the eye operated upon had no signs of inflammation, and the visual acuity achieved with the aphakic correction was 0.8.Fortschritte der Ophthalmologie: Zeitschrift der Deutschen Ophthalmologischen Gesellschaft 02/1991; 88(6):657-9.
S Golubović[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Azathioprine and cytarabine applied topically as 0.1% solution in the grafted rabbit eye significantly prolong corneal allograft survival time. Mean corneal graft survival time was 61 +/- 27.76 days and 55 +/- 26.79 days in the group treated with azathioprine and cytarabine, respectively, while mean corneal graft survival time in the control group of rabbits with no immunosuppressive therapy was 19 +/- 4.47 days. After completion of the immunosuppressive treatment, the achieved azathioprine effect lasted longer than the cytarabine effect. Favourable azathioprine and cytarabine effects on corneal allograft survival in rabbits were obtained with no serious local and systemic side effects. Only moderate hyperemia of the palpebral and bulbar conjunctiva was recorded during the first days of treatment. No other side effects were observed.Ophthalmic Research 02/1991; 23(4):213-9. · 1.56 Impact Factor
S Golubović, A Parunović[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: The application of tissue adhesives to treat different corneal diseases has been used extensively in recent years. Owing to the widespread application, it has been possible to establish the advantages and disadvantages of this method of treatment. Keeping in mind the disadvantages (primarily the toxicity of cyanoacrylate glue for the corneal endothelium and lens when it comes into direct contact with these structures), the application of cyanoacrylate glue was restricted to the treatment of progressive corneal ulcerations where the risk of corneal perforation was recognized. This method of treatment was applied in 30 patients with corneal melting in dry eye associated with rheumatoid arthritis (12), trophic postherpetic ulcerations of the cornea (9), chemical corneal burns (7), neurotrophic corneal ulceration (1) and Mooren's ulcer (1). The defect healed and anterior corneal surface epithelization occurred in 73.33% of patients in contrast to the additional treatment, most commonly penetrating keratoplasty, required in the remaining patients (26.67%).Fortschritte der Ophthalmologie: Zeitschrift der Deutschen Ophthalmologischen Gesellschaft 02/1990; 87(4):378-81.