Question

Is anybody aware of case studies of rural solid waste management?

I am trying to do a study on how best a SWM system can be established in a village with a population of approx 13000. I have to start from scratch. Any methodologies? Any guidelines/programmes from govt.? How should one go about planning it? Community participation? I am still in the very initial phase and all kind of inputs are most welcome

• Mohammad Muqeet Khan · Aligarh Muslim University
    Mr. Riyaz, kindly consult Department of Geography, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. As I know, one of the faculty member is working on a project related to rural solid waste management. Hope it will be useful.
  • Dharmendra -- · National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
    Dear Riyaz, as you have writen 13000 population it means very small village with apprx.250 to 280 family. mostly in village no one pay you for that, then also you want to serve then first work with characteristics of SW (Solid waste) and way of disposal, after homework find out problem and solution. after that go with awareness programme. In govt level Nirmal gram yojana and other yojna available contact to Block development officer in taht area. Good thaught, keep continuing, frequently ask any question without hesitaion. good day
  • Noshan Bhattarai · Kathmandu University
    I think it will work out: before doing anything organize a workshop in co-ordination with Local Government then after handful of discussion go for it:
    1st step: survey on waste generation
    2nd step: Characterization of Solid waste
    3rd Step: Methods of SWM prevailing (does it need some change_i mean choose the best one!)
    4th Step: Try to prepare Intergrated Solid Waste Management Plan which includes action plan on SWM
    5th Step: Implementation of ISWM.
    Please make sure you work in close co-ordination with local government, may be they have some funds availabe for such generous activities. Thank you!
  • Yasser Butt · Provincial Diagnostic Laboratory
    Study my book on veterinary hospital waste management published by vdm.as vety. Hospital compulsory entity of the village
  • Amit Roy · ORG India Pvt. Ltd.
    Http://www.mendeley.com/research/rural-waste-management-south-indian-village-case-study/
  • Riyaz Patel · TERI University
    @all, thanks for your valuable inputs :)
    Mr Muqeet sir, I could not find that project on the webpage of the dept. I am trying to contact them though. If you happen to know who is the person working on this, it will be great help

Dr Dharmendra sir, I have started to contact sarpanch and soon going to start the survey work. You are right about the non-willingness to pay but I am hopeful, i will be able to work something out. I am very short on time thats one problem. I will surely look up the Nirmal Gram Yojna.

Dear Noshan, Thanks for the encouraging words :) I am following an outline quite similar to what you have pointed, albeit with one extra step, extensive community survey and looking for their opinions as that will matter more in villages i think. Thanks for the input and keep it coming :)

Yasser sir, unfortunately we dont have a vet hsopital. There used to be one in the village but somehow, its not there anymore.
  • Riyaz Patel · TERI University
    Dear Amit sir, awesome! I will go through the article :) Looks wonderful.
  • Donald Cameron · University of Queensland 
    I am at University of Queensland. I was adviser to a PhD student who has completed her thesis on rural and peri-urban SWM - but in Vietnam. She was an engineer already competent in the the technical aspects such as separating biological waste from other materials, and establishing community composting systems, but in her PhD focused on the social aspects of ownership, control and responsibility, which are the real challenge.
  • Rural wastes are mainly organic for composting. The rest should be separated in village for plastic, glass, metal, paper for later retreatment. The big sized wastes as washing machines, refrigerators etc. should be special container or these wastes should be taken by producers of the new equipment. In Poland it is not allowed also throwing out sludge from waste treatment plants to the waste plants. If you need more information I am working in the Insitute of technology and Life Sciences in Warsaw.
  • Izabel Chiodi · Federal University of Minas Gerais
    Dear,

In the small city is easier solve to question. And, in my opinion, the bester way is to call all members of city for join you. I experimented a environment manangement with participation of people and it was a sucessful! because we made simposium envolving all city, with each segment of society. We made many reunion with government and no government organizations. In the end of process, we had envolved more than 5.000 people in the discussion abou the themes. And, the people decided all phases of process. You must try!
  • Riyaz Patel · TERI University
    Cameron sir, I agree with you on that part. Community based systems need to define those aspects. However, I am working on still a very primary level. :)
    Dear Eymontt sir, Well, people here like to sell such big sized wastes rather than throwing as it can get them some money. Moreover, being a small village, we dont have a waste treatment plant as such.
    Dear Izabel, its even smaller. Not even a city. I take encouragement from your example. Its my wish to establish proper SWM system in village. Thanks :)

Question Followers (10)