Question

What is the most valid method to differentiate between repression and sensitization?

I would like to investigate the moderating influence of this trait on the generalization of emotional responses. Is it still up to date to measure this construct in combination with a trait anxiety scale in order to differentiate between repressors and persons with low trait anxiety?

• Hildegard Nibel · Funk-Gruppe
    This concept for me seems to be similar to the aggravation concept / negative response bias in insurance medicine. I recently read an overview on this topic by Blaskewitz & Merten, Diagnostik der Beschwerdenvalidität in Fortsch Neurol Psychiat 2007; 75: 140-154. Hopefully there is something useful for you in it.
  • M. Mohseni · Universität Osnabrück
    The construct of repression-sensitization has been dropped in favor of the new construct vigilance-avoidance, mostly because the former was found not to be unidimensional. You may find a brief summary of this in my freely available "Diplomarbeit" on p. 24-26 (http://psydok.sulb.uni-saarland.de/volltexte/2005/508/pdf/Diplomarbeit_Mohseni.pdf). Also, in the reference section you will find a suitable measurement instrument called "ABI" by Krohne & Eggloff. This instrument is a bit pricy (as most are), but for research purposes, you can obtain a copy of this instrument from the RWTH Aachen, if I remember correctly.
  • M. Mohseni · Universität Osnabrück
    For finding a suitable "Testothek", you can also make use of this free service provided by ZPID: http://www.zpid.de/index.php?wahl=products&uwahl=frei&uuwahl=testlibrariesintro .
  • Katarina Blask · Universität Trier
    Hallo Hildegrad, thanks a lot for this advice. It really seems plausible to me to suppose an overlap between repressors /sensitizers and persons showing decreaesed/increased aggravation tendencies. Nevertheless, I think that the aggravation construct has the same problem as repression/sensitization insofar as it is confounded with trait anxiety. While this confound could be solved for repressors by including a trait anxiety scale I am not sure whether it is possible to solve this confound for sensitizers or if it is even necessary? Put differently, is there any feature that could discriminate between sensitizers and persons with high trait-anxiety?
  • Katarina Blask · Universität Trier
    Thanks a lot for these very useful replies to my question and also the provided links to supplementary material. That is exactly the information I need to investiagte my research question properly.
  • Rakesh Pandey · Banaras Hindu University
    One way to assess repression is to assess trait anxiety and social desirability. Generally, one who score low on trait anxiety and high on SD may be classified as repressor.
  • Katarina Blask · Universität Trier
    Although this kind of combination allows to distinguish between repressors and those who score low on trait anxiety it does not allow to distinguish sensitizers from those who score high on trait anxiety. Would it be possible to disentangle these two groups by means of reaction time measures? My hypothesis would be that sensitizers show faster reactions on threatening stimuli because of their increased approach-tendency whereas persons scoring high on trait anxiety show slowed reaction times.
    Reaction time and elector-physiological responses to emotional stimuli have been widely used to distinguish sensitizers from repressors. However, most often such approaches use data from self report measures also to supplement the findings.
  • Katarina Blask · Universität Trier
    Thanks a lot for your reply. If I got you right, I have to use a combination of SD-scale, trait anxiety scale and a reaction time measure in order to be able to fully disentangle these two constructs.
    Here I mean self report of the subjective reactions to the emotional stimuli and not the measures of social desirability and trait anxiety.
  • Katarina Blask · Universität Trier
    Ok, but how do these measures tap on the subjective reactions to the emotional stimuli. Do they separately reflect people's subjective reactions on a valence/ arousal and response level or are people just asked how they feel about a certain stimulus?
  • Sergey Murik · Irkutsk State University
    I think it is possible to differentiate motivational and emotional states only on an adaptation state (a viability) difference brain neurons. The best method for this purpose is DCEEG: http://www.fiziolog.isu.ru/murik/Lit.files/MurikSE%20The%20use%20of%20DCEEG%20to%20estimate.pdf

Question Followers (8)