Question

What is the most common plant?

I cannot find any references in the scientific literature that report what the most common plant is. Does anyone have any sources? Does anyone know which plant is responsible for the most photosynthesis overall?

• Jutta Kapfer · Norwegian Forest and Landscape Institute
    Is 'most common' correlated with 'most photosynthesis'?
  • Alice Zelman · University of Connecticut
    I was considering it a most total biomass worldwide.
  • Renata Baczek-Kwinta · University of Agriculture in Krakow
    Hello. I canot list any species, but I suppose that the most widespread are some representatives of Poaceae - they exist in various ecosystems on different continents and differentiated climate zones.
  • Andrii Tarieiev · National Taras Shevchenko University of Kyiv
    What you mean under "most common"? What kind of plants do you mean?
    The most widespread species in the world maybe some of unicellular algae. They also have the most total biomass.
  • Gunasingham Mikunthan · University of Jaffna
    The question is not focused. Most common plant in which area? You should define the area/geographical area as you know the earth is blessed to have varying ecosystem and no system is unique like other. In this situation, how do you expect the species remain common.
    Thank you to everyone for the helpful comments. I would be interested to know if anyone has ideas about how to confirm these suggestions (although I am not in the correct field to investigate this question). In a related question, I also wonder if the total land plant mass of Earth could be calculated, perhaps from satellite images?
  • Deleted
    Green leaf area index is estimated by remote sensing at 1km2 spatial resolution every 8 days. It is a global spatial product produced by NASA based on MODIS data.
  • Luis Pedro Martín García · Universidad Católica de Ávila
    As far as I know, if you are looking for the presence/ausence of a earth-plant in the Holartic territory, you should think about Pinus sylvestris, Juniperus communis and Populus tremula. They are the most widespread plants I know.
    I hope I have helped you
  • Milan Stankovic · University of Kragujevac
    Phragmites australis is the most common plant.

Question Followers (15) See all