Question

What is average life expectancy of 60 year old male after diagnosis with stage 3 COPD?

Pulmonary Diseases

• Evgeni Mekov · Medical University of Sofia
    It depends of many factors. You can't say.
  • Varun Patel · Sterling Hospital
    It is depend on patient compliance over medication, avoidance of smoking which ever form. Numbers of exacerbation and hospitalization. It is also depends on other co morbidity.
    Agree with above plus FEV1 declining, which you cannot predict. I think the biggest problem is numbers of exacerbations, because they must compensate acute worsening and after that they worse even more their pulmonary function.
  • Stephen Zurowski · S&S Genetics
    Thanks to all of you that replied. Good information!
    To V.P.--- This patient Never smoked at all.Chemical exposure from work enviornment
    has lead to his dismal pulmonary function. His religious beliefs forbid any Hospitalization.
    He also has had FSH type MD since his teen years.muscle cell wasting is rampant
    in all skeletal muscles.
    Unforetunetly his future seems bleak.
  • Nabil Jarad · University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust
    17.2 years without the muscle disease.

An average life expectancy for a European male who never smoked is 85.2 years. This is shortened by 8 years in a COPD patient (by any cause) with FEV1 40-60% (Gold 3 status). This is provided that there are no life-shortening co-morbidity.

References:

1. Life expectancy tables for cohort of male in England and Wales
    2. Coal Miners handling scheme for asthma and COPD
  • My mother was diagnosed with emphysema in 2003. As I watched her deteriorate I noticed that as her supplemental O2 requirement increased her meal size and weight decreased. My mom had quit smoking so I asked him why her emphysema was progressing so long after she had quit. He told me they did not know. It was a mystery.

I soon realized that the drugs would only slow the disease but not stop its progress.

I developed a hypothesis after 6500 hours of researching,data mining and curation which I believe described the cause of this disease progression.

"Smoking introduces a pathogen into the lungs that continues proliferating even if the patient quits smoking."

As this pathogen proliferates the body adapts by distending the lungs creating additional lung volume for gas exchange. This causes the condition common to emphysema and COPD patients known as "barrel chest."

This problem reaches critical mass when the distending lungs begin crowding the stomach making normal-sized meals impossible. This can take decades to occur and it did with my mother.

I began starving the pathogen using a diet I borrowed from Dr. Kenneth Hunter, a Microbiologist and cancer researcher at the University of Nevada School of Medicine. Dr. Hunter states that cancer is a pathogen and its food supply is sugar. The diet eliminates all sugar and foods that convert to sugar rapidly in the body such as bread and cereal along with simple carbs like potatoes.

In only 2 weeks my mother's condition was improving. Dr. Hunter also gave his patients proteolytic enzymes that would tear away the protective protein covering on the pathogenic cells leaving them vulnerable to attack by the immune system. Dr. Hunter also gives his patients beta glucan which amplifies the immune response.

I found Dr. Fred Pescatore, a practicing M.D. in New York City who developed an 8-step cure for asthma and allergies. One of the primary supplements he uses in his cure is a high-quality, enteric coated probiotic which restores the immune system.

I incorporated these supplements along with the diet into my mother's daily regimen and she began a continual improvement until she was off oxygen, had re-gained her lost weight and did not use any COPD meds.

Had I listened to the doctors she would have been dead in 2006. Since I found and followed these prominent researchers my mother had completely recovered by November 2008.

If you would like the diet it is available at: http://www.emphysema-treatments.com/diet.htm

I wrote a book about my mother's experience, especially her recovery which has now helped more than 2000 people in 9 different countries survive this horrible disease.

By the way, instead of looking at the GOLD system you may want to look at the more accurate BODE system.
  • J Perriot · Conseil general du Puy de dôme
    Dear William,
    COPD is a systemic disease frequently responsible for depressive disorders which often are underestimated whose unsupported worse prognosis (mortality and deterioration of quality of life).To identify these disorders (HAD scale, BDI) is easy. To treat the troubles (SRI) if found, permits real progress in 2 or 3 months.and to control the évolution of the disease.
    Best Regards.
    Jean.
  • Irena Paiuk · Tel Aviv University
    Dear Stephen,
    One of the important factors regarding patient's survival in COPD and rate of COPD exacerbations, is patient's functional status. Contrary to GOLD classification,functional tests reflect both the pulmonary and extrapulmonary manifestations of COPD, giving a comprehensive overview of the effects of this complex chronic disease on the patient.
    “…the FEV1, whilst being fundamental for the diagnosis of COPD, tells us little about patient’s ability to function at home and in society, and very little about their HRQoL” (Jones, PW 2011).
    Functional status may be assessed by laboratory test (ergometry) or field tests (6MWT, shuttle walk,step test). Regarding the correlations between the results of 6MWT and 4 years survival, check the article written by Budweiser et al 2008.
    Two other references present the correlations between 6MWT annual change (delta) as a predictor of survival - Polkey et al 2013, Pinto-Plata et al 2004.
    Best Regards,
    Irena

Question Followers (12) See all