Question

Is there any strong evidence on the positive (or negative) effect of medical resonance therapy music on insomnia patients?

Medicinal music therapy

Popular Answers

• Lovis Praveen · Christ University, Bangalore
    There is strong ethnic evidence where in children go to sleep listening to lallabey (music). Some sort of such innovative music can be helpful for such patients. I think it can be used in medical settings also once proper researches are made.
  • Bhaskar Khandekar · Kalawardhan academy of Performing Arts
    Yes, Music Therapy is very useful treatment for insomnia problem .
  • Leon van Noorden · Ghent University
    what do you mean by medical resonance therapy? I have collected evidence that young babies and children have a special sensitivity around 2 Hz. Young babies fall asleep when they are rocked at 2 Hz. This corresponds with the walking tempo of the mother. Most probably prenatal babies sleep in the womb when the mother walks. They still do that after birth when de mother carries them during her walks. Young children show a strong resonance around 2 Hz when they try to synchronise their
    tapping to the rhythm of children's songs. There is a theory (by Todd) that links music and the vestibular system. It could explain why young people like dance music very loud. It would stimulate the vestibular system and perhaps influence the senses so that part of the brain would go to sleep and so contribute to the trance state. I would not call this resonance around 2 Hz a medical but a biological resonance.
  • Goh Honchien · National University of Malaysia
    thank you very much for your reply. I am referring to the medical resonance therapy music by Peter Hubner.
    Very useful information Mr. Leon.
  • Leon van Noorden · Ghent University
    What does Peter Hubner say?
    http://www.medicalresonancetherapymusic.com/

Hi pls refer to above website for references. personally i reckon that the evidences provided are not strong enough.May I know how do you think ?
  • Deleted
    The 'Medical Resonance Therapy Music' looks like quackery aimed at the exploiting the vulnerable.
  • Leon van Noorden · Ghent University
    I am not a medical doctor and I believe that, although there has been made an unbelievable progress through science, medicine, or better healing, is still more of an art than science. So I am not in a position to call "medical resonance therapy music" quackery. But I do not see that in this therapy any scientific knowledge is taken on board since the numerology of Pythagoras. Although there are some references to scientific work on the website, it is not made clear how these results are integrated in the therapy.

By the way does any of you know of a therapy for insomnia patients that use the same therapy as for babies namely rocking? I have anecdotal evidence that a number of people sitting in a car fall asleep or start feeling very sleepy (not only children).
  • Michael Speca · Alberta Health Services
    If anyone has strong evidence of efficacy in treating a disorder it should be subjected to peer review process and publication in a respected journal. This seems to be absent.
  • Eva Chan · Hong Kong Hospital Authority
    Dear all,

This is an interesting topic for discussion. I agreed that it will need more evidences to support " Medical resonance therapy music".

On the other hand, there was study about sleep and rocking. Pl read below and see if it will bring u moe ideas:

<Rocking Increases Brain Activity Associated with Sleep>
    Volunteers were scanned when they napped in stationary and in rocking beds, revealing enhanced sleep brain activity when rocking. Cynthia Graber reports
    June 20, 2011 | 2

You’re lying in a hammock by a breezy shore. The hammock rocks softly back and forth. In no time…(snoring). It turns out that’s not just the relaxation of being on vacation that’s bringing on sleep. It’s the rocking hammock. That might not be a huge surprise—babies get rocked to sleep. But researchers wanted to know how rocking works.

They recruited 12 healthy males, all good sleepers. Each volunteer twice took an afternoon nap in a dark room on a custom-made bed that could rock. For one nap, the bed was still. For the other, it rocked gently.

All the men fell asleep faster when they swayed. And the scientists monitored the men’s brain activity during all the naps. They found that rocking increased the duration of what’s called N2, a non-REM stage that accounts for about half of a good night’s sleep.

Rocking also increased deep-sleep-associated brain activity—so-called slow oscillations as well as bursts of action called sleep spindles. The research was published in the journal Current Biology. [Laurence Bayer et al., "Rocking Synchronizes Brain Waves During a Short Nap"]

The next step is to find out whether rocking can help treat sleep disorders. Meanwhile, insomniacs can always try a hammock.
    —Cynthia Graber

From Eva O W Chan
  • Leon van Noorden · Ghent University
    thank you very much for this reference. I see they rocked at 0.25 Hz.

It has been shown in:
    "The Effects of Vertical Rocking Frequencies on the Arousal Level in Two-Month-Old Infants"
    Dick Ter Vrugt and David R. Pederson, Child Development, Vol. 44, No. 1 (Mar., 1973), pp. 205-209"
    that for these young infants 1.5 Hz works better than 0.5 and 1.0 Hz.

So there is room for optimising the frequency in the framework of a scientifically based therapy.

Question Followers (10)