Question

How have the recent interest and large-scale agricultural investments in Africa impacted on smallholder farmers in the region?

The impacts could be positive or negative. Can you share some verifiable examples or documentary references? Thanks

• Nandkishor Pitty · Maharashtra Hybrid Seeds Company Limited
    Installing small green houses can control climates in global warming. It can be increase the productivity as well as it helps water evaporated system, so we can grow in less water irrigation, organic farming help to grow the crop condition much batter as compared with fertilizer/pesticide applications.
  • Anna Zivian · Ocean Conservancy
    If you aren't already familiar with it, you might want to look at some of the work the Oakland Institute has been doing on the question of land rights and foreign investment (www.oaklandinstitute.org).
  • Manoj Meher · Utkal University
    Mr. Elias
    Thanks a lot for your question, i have few answar on the south east Asia as my research focus on this region. I have little knowledge on Africa to share.
  • Alice Okech · Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
    UNDP just released a report last week on African development and the focus is on food security. I believe you will find some important info about agricultural investment in it. You can download it for free from the UNDP website.
  • Naveen Kalra · Tata Chemicals Ltd.
    Small and marginal farmers could learn best management practices followed by developed agencies for enhancements in the agril productivity. Really resource limitations in this region and underapplication of fertilizers creates a large yield gap and the farmers have to learn customized inputs application with appropriate land use types for sustained agriculture
    For additional resources: Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research - CGIAR and International Food Research Institute - IFPRI. Check them online for verifiable examples.
  • Natasha Mwila · Monash University (Australia)
    @Nalveen Kalra: I think that although developed agencies are valuable sources of knowledge enhancements, it should be a primary priority to ensure that indigenous knowledge possessed by smaller farmers, particularly in Africa is utilised. Many indigenous practices when fully understood are value adding such that the quality of the crop yield is highly competitive to those offered by larger commercialised farmers despite the lower quantities. Pushing agriculture in the direction of large scale growth puts both indigenous knowledge and indigenous crops at risk of extinction.
    @Elias Danyi Kuusaana: I think the biggest impacts on the smaller farmers is this apparent loss of a competitive edge in the absence of large yields that may otherwise result in economies of scale. However, as I have discussed above- this is not as dire a situation as it sounds when we take the management of indigenous agricultural practices into consideration. Please look at the article by Lwoga, Stilwell & Ngulube (2011) titled 'Access and use of agricultural information in Tanzania'
    I agree with that. Which is why USAID and other large donors are now focusing on Value Chain Addition.
  • Elias Danyi Kuusaana · University for Development Studies
    @ Manoj Meher: U may want to share your research experiences with from the South East Asian Region. Thanks for your comments. I will follow up on the resource suggestions. More of your views are kindly welcomed.

Question Followers (8)