Question

BEI inactivation of viruses

I would like to know, for BEI inactivation of virus in bulk (say for vaccine manufacturing), why the virus harvest is first inactivated and then concentrated? Why not the other way round i.e. concentration and inactivation. I am sure researchers in this group will contribute to my knowledge.

• Jason Hansen · Boehringer Ingelheim
    Purely speculation, but during the inactivation process, it may be beneficial for the agent being inactivated to be "more spread out" to obtain complete inactivation. If you had a concentrated stock, there may be infectious agents hidden in "clusters" of organisms condensed into a small area where BEI does not penetrate. My 2 cents.
  • Steps in concentration can also be dangerous.
  • Gaetano Federico Ronchi · IZS Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale
    Some times I used BEI after concentration step with favourable results but for some pharmaceutical company, I think is better to work with an inactivated antigen to avoid cross contamination when they will work with another virus. Also, as Hansen wrote, to avoid hidden virus in clusters.

Question Followers (9)