Question

Are academics attending conferences just for the sake of presenting papers, or are they looking for a plausible solution to their research?

In the last 10 years, there is a sudden surge in research papers from Asia (particularly from the region's largest few countries). The quantity is there but we do have questions on the quality and definitely the intent. With high volumes of submission, you would expect conference attendance to increase. Yet when the presentation comes, there are at least 30-50% absenteeism in the conferences where you receive high quantity of submissions. Thus, the question is asked if the attendance of such conferences is being used as just a tool for them to get their papers indexed or are they really using the tool to get answers?
So, the follow up question is if the indexing of papers is really useful, or it is a tool for the publishers to make financial gains?

Popular Answers

All Answers (348) Show full discussion

• Sandra Cecconello · prior CCAC affiliation no present affiliation
    Gennady; Please accept my apology. I did not mean as to say that I did not take your response seriously because you used the word laugh; I simply presumed that you were making your own joke. If you follow my statement, I did use the word "but"
    this con notates that I found a serious connection in your response. I did click on your link and would like to clarify; when I say that I study emotions; what I mean by that is when the proper emotion is displayed. My background has been as such where if in authority arenas and dealing with children; emotions are not to be displayed. It is considered a sign of immaturity as well as a sickness. I very much disagree with this; and many of our children lack emotion because of it. Our children laugh at things that should be taken seriously and they take seriously things that should be laughed at.....go figure. Our children when they act like children are put on medication under the guise of ADHD or ADD. There is a percentage of these children that do not need that medication, they simply need parents that are not afraid to be childish and dads that will spend time with them rather than wait for them to grow up in order to claim the tax deductions. Our children are our biggest financial gain industry. Medical and professional industry's are growing daily; grants are so over abundant it is impossible to obtain them unless an institution is involved; thus over three-fourths of our society is incarcerated in some sort of institution rather than a family unit. This affects the entire family structure. This is what I meant when I said I study emotions. My studies are not taken seriously thus only by opportunists who twist it into their benefit. And I can relate about throwing out the journals; I am dragging around over a hundred of my own journals looking for a place to put them hoping they will net a little something financially--but who am I kidding? You know as well as I that the new becomes old very quickly......Gennady I lost your post but I do agree with you that papers are truly becoming problematic. It appears to me that people that are serious but new have a problem getting published; while some new authors get published just because a teacher or professor feels they deserve it thus giving teachers pet a whole new twist.
  • Thomas Frese · University of Leipzig
    Dear Ivan,

I think that the main problem is the assessment of research output. I think that in many institutions simply the number of publications or the cumulative impact factor are used as indicators. This is not proper. Making contacts to other researchers and getting feddback or answers towards own work or remaining questions is an important reason to join conferences, however, at least not every conference can fullfill this expectations (e.g. to unstructured poster sessions or other circumstances). Also the attendance of conferences may be limited by reasons as e.g. problems with funding for the fees. At least I do think that publishing research is a business. Publishing low quality-research may be misused by some publishers (as indicated by the flood of open acces journals).
  • Gennady Fedulov · Independent Developer
    Dear Thomas Frese,
    I completely share your views about that:
    1. The main problem is the assessment of research output
    2. In many institutions simply the number of publications or the cumulative impact factor are used as indicators
    3. Making contacts to other researchers and getting feddback is an important reason to join conferences
    4. Attendance of conferences may be limited by problems with funding for the fees
    5. Publishing research is a business
    6. Publishing low quality-research may be misused by some publishers
    Thank you Muhammad
  • Fairouz Bettayeb · Centre de Recherche Scientifique et Technique en Soudage et Contrôle
    I’d like go back to the ’publish or perish’ policy and to the indexing system. If most international journals have a marketing policy and obey to reliable financial plans for their existence from sponsorship, publicity, sale and purchase. In this case the ISI indexing system couldn’t construct monopoles from science knowledge sharing and their consequences on education democracy and knowledge expansion or contraction? In this case knowledge sharing could become the monopole of some financial lobbies or could drive hard competition or rivalry?? I think that a sincere discussion is needed with this question: how scientists could share knowledge and expertise out of any pressure only for the interest of science progress and human knowledge increase; what is the best scheme for scientific publication and reviewing process democracy?
    May be some international conference proceedings enclose reliable data. Their no indexation could reduce the sharing of some interesting data. In another hand conferences could prevent some knowledge monopolization of any part as discussions, reviews, comments and remarks are public. Furthermore it is a best way for scientists ‘especially whose from poor or less developed countries’ to be known, share their expertise and learn from the others as their interaction with their pairs in the word is generally very limited reduced in most cases to student sponsorship and grants.
  • Martin Davies · University of Melbourne
    This discussion is wandering all over the place. The question was: Are academics attending conferences just for the sake of presenting papers, or are they looking for a plausible solution to their research?

My response:
    1. This is a false dichotomy. They can, of course, do both.
    2. Some attend mainly for the 'social' element of conferences and the prospect of networking, which is understandable.
    3. Some present at conferences because to attend the conference they have to (otherwise they get no funding to attend). Their ideas might be half-baked and more like work-in-progress than a well thought-out paper. (In my experience, some conference papers are frankly terrible and not worth attending: there is little argument, evidence, and rigour. But maybe I've just had bad experiences.). Moreover, as a conference Chair, conference selection committees have to "accept" most submissions otherwise people won't attend. So there is a quid pro quo going on: papers are "accepted" because conference organisers need the attendances, and people present their work because they have to in order to attend the conference!
    4. Presenters at conferences are not always "experts" in their field because of [3]
    5. For many, giving a conference paper is a rite of passage and a learning experience and nothing more than that (e.g., PhD students).
    6. Some papers have a real "problem" that they addressing and are genuinely in need of audience feedback. These presenters learn from the experience and sometimes (rarely I suspect) they get a germ of an idea from discussions that help them in their quest. (This is discipline-specific: in my area, Philosophy/Education, there is rarely a simple "problem-solution' dynamic, but in other disciplines: engineering, physics or whatever, there might be.)

Personally, I find conferences tiresome. I can't concentrate for 3 full days in a row (and I suspect most people can't, they just "pretend" they can) and therefore I don't learn a lot. I am lousy at networking so I don't get much from that aspect of conferences either. I don't get anything from conferences that I can't get from a book/paper. I do like the socialising and boozing, but I don't have to travel thousands of kilometres for that! So I have more or less stopped attending them.

Moreover, in terms of career development, I'd rather send a good paper I might have written to a A-ranked journal, than publish it in a conference proceedings. (Why waste a good paper publishing it in proceedings when it can be in a journal? One can't publish it in both places, as this is academic misconduct.)

Conferences are, for me, over-rated. But perhaps I'm just a jaded old man.
    You are right, serious researchers have to attend significant congresses where famous scientists and professionals are invited for plenary and keynotes. In these conferences committees are rigorous and do not accept all papers. They are generally sponsored by well known editors and journals through a peer reviewing for papers acceptance. I don’t think that eminent scientists and well known experts could accept attendance of any conference. For journal publication, sometimes the peer reviewing process in good journals is too long and takes may be 2 or 3 years, that pushes people for proceedings publication, and sometimes journals reject or censure papers without serious peer reviewing process, sometimes also some reviewers (not all of course) give up ethical values and may be well accepted scientific review and analysis; for this question i have suggested in a past thread that reviewers could be identified to the authors and each is responsible for his/her scientific comments and opinions about the paper content, as in a public debate since the purpose is paper and research work improvements, no bother if reviewers could not be anonymous, like in a dissertation jury
  • Marek Gutowski · Institute of Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences
    Fairoz, "peer reviewing process in good journals is too long and takes may be 2 or 3 years" - I can't believe my eyes. My experience is very different. Being appointed as a referee, I'm usually given two weeks, sometimes up to 1 month to deliver my opinion. Looking into information attached to many published articles (submitted at ..., revised ..., published ...) I can say that only in statistics the difference between submission date and publication date reach up to 3 years, indeed. This is so, I think, because there are not so many active statisticians. Otherwise, the duration between submission and publication very rarely exceeds 1 year. It might be suspected that this may be mainly due to the not-so-quick response from interested authors to referee's comments. I have only occasionally encountered a 6 months time-limit for such response.
  • Lijo Francis · King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
    As far as my concern, conferences are a good platform for knowledge exchange and networking!
  • A. Imam · John Carroll University
    I agree with Marek that, in my own experience as a referee also, there's usually a short period to return a review. Yet, I can provide a piece of evidence for Fairouz's claim: I submitted a manuscript on which I have yet to receive any feedback since 2009, despite multiple inquiries to the editor--it is mind bugling!
  • John Tainer · The Scripps Research Institute
    I find I always learn more from conferences than just reading the papers and moreover find out about things that did not work and negative results that aid my thinking. I bet many conference no-shows have to do with limited funding or other problems such as unrepeatable results rather than specific scheming. Many conference talks present unpublished data providing a look into the future that helps me avoid duplicating work already farther along or following directions already found unhelpful by colleagues. I value greatly the feedback on my unpublished results that helps me write better papers.

Conferences save me both time and money by providing an up to date snap shot of a field, the chance to talk directly to people actively doing experiments relevant to my efforts, and an opportunity to get attention and feedback on my current efforts.
    My experience too in reviewing takes me at least 1 month, it is the top delay requested by the editors. Many times the authors response is long, and a second or may be third revisions are requested. For my own experience I have submitted a paper to a serious journal in 2007/2008 and I have waited a year for the response with a decision of rejection and comments of 2 reviewers where a rejection or a major revision was not requested in their comments. I have understood that may be the editor was not interested by my paper; but still waiting for a negative response a year is too long since we couldn’t submit in the same time the work to another journal. I submitted a revised version of the paper to another journal it has been rejected without any comment 2 days following the submission, I do it a 3rd time with another journal and I obtained a rejection after 7months with biased comments by only one reviewer where his/her review was focused on the detail of the numerical method ‘the software’ which was not the object of the paper, anyway this reviewer do not ask for a rejection or a major revision too. I haven’t understood what the problem with this work is.… I have also another experience with a different paper 3 years ago but with no response till now from the editor … I have no idea what happens with this paper. too. Now i prefer submitting to serious conferences, and i continue participating as referee in very serious journals; I agree with John, direct contact is more beneficial, public debate and critics help more to improve ones work .
  • Rihab Abdelrahman · University of Khartoum
    Hi,
    I think the type of conference determine if one benefit from it.If the organizer had good academic reputation and had orangised a conference before,then the chance of learning is greater.
  • Custodio Martins · University of Macau
    I agree with you Rihab, even if the profusion and sometimes duplication of conferences may leave some space for speculation about some conferences real intent.
  • Solomon Isiorho · Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne
    It also depends on the individual. One needs to seek out people in your area of interest or that is remotely connected to your yours. Be willing to learn something new by attending talks you are not familiar with. Networking :)
  • Irena White · Flinders University
    Attending conferences, like wandering through collections on library shelves or surfing the Internet, should always be valued as great sources for serendipity and the happy coincidences that lead to those wonderful 'ah ha' moments in research and learning. The formality of indexing papers and pressures on academics to publish, I believe, should not overtake the valuable informal learning and discoveries that conferences, as a potential source for engaging with research and researchers, enable.
  • Meenakshi Sirigiri · The English and Foreign Languages University
    The pressures on academics.. to publish, to present takes the joy out of research. Quantity does seem to count. However I believe that multidisciplinary research is the catchword. This will discourage authors from using the same research data for various papers.
  • Henna Saeed · University of the Punjab
    Majority of the people I know go to just read their own papers and get fame.
    Meenakshi, you are absolutely right! It seems we need a type of revolution to be able to counteract the "publish or perish" sword on everyone's head, in which more is better, in detriment to quality, and even multidisciplinary. Another issue that is directly related to frequency on conference attendance, most of the times due to universities' internal pressure, has to do with time. Time is essential to develop good research, to read and reflect upon readings, thoroughly prepare and design studies, implement the methodology, collect and analyse the data, reflect upon your results, compare them to other studies', write about it, and then, finally publish it so others can also profit from your own research. How much time do we actually have to do that in universities all over the world?! I know there are some super-(excellent)researchers- (excellent) teachers around, but for those who are not lucky enough to be the "super top", time does not seem to be enough. Not to mention what really is involved in good teaching, which is also important after all!
    Absolutely. Time matters the most. I feel I can either do justice to my students or to research. Teaching is one part of our life. The other being the business of living...family, social relationships, responsibilities etc. For serious research I will need to set aside a lot of time. So although my interest is genuine i find I am hard pressed for time. I have started compiling a word-list leading to a dictionary in an endangered language quite some time back but but unable to devote time to it. However I must state that according to me a teacher's first responsibility is towards her students. So here I am, planning and spending most of my time for my students. Student welfare in all aspects should come first.
  • Qurratulann Malik · International Islamic University, Islamabad
    Even with a limited interaction of intl conferences, it is obvious that majority of the participants go their either to put it on their Cv or see a new place. Empty conference halls do not suggest an active and healthy exchange of information.
  • Ayesha Sadaf · International Islamic University, Islamabad
    This is just for networking and putting it on CV.
  • Barry Turner · University of Lincoln
    When I first started attending conferences I was there for the networking and hoping to meet others working in similar fields. I then recall the period where the pharma companies dominated and the conferences got more lavish, less about research and education and more about marketing drugs (and freebies for speakers). These caused a reaction among the anti-pharma academics many of who were immensely brave and gave in some cases career threatening (their own) papers about the abject dishonesty that was tainting research.
    We now seem to be in a period where publishing or presenting at conference has become an end in itself. There are still very good conferences and very good journals but this self perpetuating industry of 'publish or be damned' has damaged to varying extent academic integrity, research enterprise, research collaboration and faith in the system. Let us never be fooled into thinking that 'impact' and quality are the same thing or, in many cases even related.
  • Irena White · Flinders University
    It seems online Communities of Practice (CoPs) such as ResearchGate have the potential to become an accepted alternative to traditional face-to-face conferences and publishing of papers. Does anyone know of any research that compares CoPs and conferences?
  • Deleted
    My personal Observation is...

1) Most of them "Are attending conferences just for the sake of presenting papers- around 70%" , specifically Masters & Phd scholars.

2) Around 20% attend the conference to visit various near by Tourist & Religious places.

3) Renaming 10% are Interested to "Learn", "Build Network" and Finding out future research Topic....

Mots of the times the "Invited Speaker" , "Technical Session Chair" tell in advance the "Conference Organizer" the places they are interested to visit.

This is what my experience of Organizing 3 IEEE International Conference in India....

Again..I am sorry for sharing the truth, if it hurts somebody....
  • Sajjad Ali · University of the Punjab
    In my view the presence and asking question you can gauge the conference worth but when your paper is accepted from that you can measure. Because your paper acceptance come from the high experts mean that your paper review by high expert of the subject when they sent you the acceptance then what you need.
  • Yew Chin · Open University Malaysia
    Dear Dr Boo,
    Do you know that one of our local university have produced more than 500 PhDs with less than 8 years ? Do you know that to get a title of " Dr " is one of the way to change your social status in our Chinese society . If you happen to review their " thesis" , you will know what sort of knowledge they acquired before they get their PhD.
    This is a very interesting phenomena in this region .

Regards
  • Yew Chin · Open University Malaysia
    Dear Dr Ganesh ,

I have been attending some of the IEE and BCS seminar in our region . But I have yet organize any conference before .

I was appointed as the PM for my Alumni to organize a regional conference . May I know that , do you still keeping your project plan out line ?
    Kindly advise .
    Regards
    Chin
    chinym@oum.edu.my
  • Nicholas Rowe · University of Lapland
    I am researching this at present (in a broad sense) & the motivation for attending/presenting at conferences is very interesting.

There are intrinsic & extrinsic factors involved, plus the motivator that some gain simply from the experience itself. The evidence to date is paradoxical: we like the concept (& food, travel, funding etc), but decry the actual learning that is gained by listening to someone present for 20 minutes, staring at a poster or hoping that we bump into a like-minded person who engages in our topic of interest. In a way, attending & presenting at conferences can show your active participation in your field (a bit like the contribution factor of the RG score), but the hard extrinsic line for many is 'publication' & getting a marker for the CV. The main intrinsic marker is socialisation. In fact, this RG platform shows many commonalities with the conference form of professional interaction.

The short of it is that we all have different motivations & needs that guide our conference participation. As a positive step, we need to identify these needs & look how we can further develop the conference medium of continuing/professional education to meet them. The information to guide this is already out there, but diffused in a huge array of media, disciplines and levels.

I hope that my research will pull this together & reveal some pointers for this. You never know ... I might present them at some conference (for some reason known to me & speculated on by others) :-)
  • Ljubomir Jerinic · University of Novi Sad
    @Yew Chin: "Do you know that one of our local university have produced more than 500 PhDs with less than 8 years?"… "This is a very interesting phenomena in this region (Malaysia)."

The same is almost all over the world, as far as I know. The hyper-production of papers, degrees, and thesis... is big problem. Unfortunately, the old Latin phrase "knowledge is power" is replaced with "The money is power." In addition, until Magazines, Scientific Journals, Conference proceedings are charged publishing papers, while there is "Doctorates at a distance" and so on; the problem will be even more magnified....

At the end, I will try to answer the original question “Are academics attending conferences just for the sake of presenting papers, or are they looking for a plausible solution to their research?”

The answer is simply YES, the academics are there just for the sake of presenting papers.

Even worse, the "newly composed" scientists - researchers come to conferences these days just to ensure that their paper will be published, as well as to justify the cost of the project in which they have participated, and of course to justify their salaries.

Earlier, at the conference any paper which is a bit "shady" (e.g. poor quality), even if somehow the paper passed the review, was “criticized” and “attacked” during the presentation. Consequently, the author (presenter) was able to get the best out of the participation.

These days the conferences have almost no discussion, debate, dialogue... so I have stopped to participate in conferences, almost 10 years.
  • Yew Chin · Open University Malaysia
    Dear Ljubomir Jerinic,
    I will doubt the " content " and the " quality " of the paper ! I did review some of those PhD paper , I really feel disappointed with some of the paper , if they will send for external review , I do believe high rejection rate might occurred !
    What I like to read and review some of those good paper when I am in the library or in my IT room have a high speed fiber links . Trying to get the meaning of the journal ,and make use of it for my research paper. This is how I pass time nowadays beside scripting on my IBM Old think pad !
    Hopefully , my paper can produce on time !
    I will like to wish all the Chinese researcher a very Happy and Prosperous Chinese New Year !
    Chin
    29th Jan 2014
    One day before Chinese New Year Eve .
  • Ina Suryani · Universiti Malaysia Perlis
    Mainly for networking and most importantly, to listen to the keynote speakers. keynotes usually presents the latest development in the research area and give continuation, direction and ideas for future research. The right keynote speaker explains why some conferences manage to pull a good crowd despite the hefty fees. Networking is important to academicians given that this is about the few rare occasion they get to me the real people in their research area and are able to have a real academic discussion without being looked as eccentric thinkers. Unless the attendee choose to attend an irrelevant conference theme and decided to take it like a holiday instead; the conference is a good place to gather research alliance, catch up with the latest development and ponder upon future research possibilities.
  • Yew Chin · Open University Malaysia
    Dear Dr Ina,

You are right ! The main reason I attend those conferences is to build my social network ! I also presented my proposal paper ,and have received a lot of good feedback from the floor .
    But due to lack of " competent Professor" on my topic , I have to depend on Professor from other country ,and I also travel to China and Hong Kong to attend conference , this is one of the way to look for my God father for my research topic .
    Regards
  • Nicholas Rowe · University of Lapland
    Do your institutions place any real value on your attendance at conferences? Do you have to give them something in return for funding, like present at the conference, give a report, participate at a level that brings recognition to the institution etc. ?

If you present at a conference, do you class it as a 'publication', or do you have a separate section of your CV (& head) for conference contributions - do you think your fellow academics feel the same ?
  • Tayeb Benouaz · Abou Bakr Belkaid University of Tlemcen
    Attend conferences allows significant exchanges that can not cope with a microphone!
    we meet specialists from diverse backgrounds that can help address a number of problematics!
    It is the ideal place for young researchers..
  • Abdel-Aziz Sharabati · Middle East University
    So many people use publishing papers for promotion purposes or to get certificate not more. Others really concern about there contribution. Very few people enjoy doing researches and aim to get a fruitful results with clear and precise objective. Participating in conferences i.e. just getting the approval without attending may help some to include his/her research paper within his/her CV.
  • Nicholas Rowe · University of Lapland
    'Very few people enjoy doing researches and aim to get a fruitful results with clear and precise objective. Participating in conferences i.e. just getting the approval without attending may help some to include his/her research paper within his/her CV. '

I am not so sure about this viewpoint - I (sadly) enjoy research, in that I can explore the issues that matter to me & hopefully get results or information that helps to develop or clarify the matter. My aim in publishing the results is a) so other people can utilise and benefit from the work; and b) so that they can respond (positively or negatively), which in-turn gives me some points on which to further pursue the inquiry.

As for getting 'approval' without attending a conference - to my understanding, this therefore means I have not actually presented or contributed anything ... I'm not sure if I would want to boast of this on my CV ;-)

If however, people are motivated to do this, it should be asked what sort of institution or individual would condone such (non)activity, & what short-sighted rationale they give (themselves) for it.
    You are right, but how many one is enjoying what they are doing? when you enjoy what you are doing, you almost get fruitful results (the most important is self satisfaction and self improvement and development). Please first enjoy what you are doing, then ask for external reward (position, money, appreciation, thanks...etc).
    I agree with you Abdel-Aziz, is one of the aspects. Only during major events where the great scientists are present, the intereaction with juniors is very important.
  • Yew Chin · Open University Malaysia
    Dear Nicholas ,
    Most of the oversea conference I attended are on my own budget , and most of the local conference are recommended by my dean or my supervisor .
    Nowadays , I have to depend on international conference to enhance my knowledge ,and also learn from some Professors from Hong Kong , and Singapore .
    But I am looking for opportunity to attend the Annual America Psychology Association in US .
    Regards
  • Yew Chin · Open University Malaysia
    Dear Abdel-Aziz Sharabati ,
    As my knowledge , Social science research is slightly difference from pure science research . Most of the findings were hard to achieve 0.64 score ,and we need to do a lot of supplementary or support explanations to " justify " our finding . This is what I am no so comfortable on social science research .Possible new tool like using electronic measurement method or more advance research method to improve the finding ! This is one of the possible way to improve my research on Personality theory .
    Regards
  • Barry Turner · University of Lincoln
    It is well understood that conference paper submissions vary in quality and that over the last few years there has been too much emphasis on quantity of submissions over quality. Conferences too vary in quality ranging from inspirational to sterile. Even conferences with world leading experts and high quality papers delivered can still leave the attendees less than inspired or impressed. As for networking, this varies in value too. Many conferences leave the attendees declaring profoundly to each other that they must work together some time only to fall out of touch with one another quite rapidly after the heady atmosphere of the conference. In some ways this resembles the effect of the holiday romance.

Short conferences are probably the answer, two days is more than enough. One of the main reasons I have not been able to remain at four and five day conferences in the past is the pressure on time. Conference attendees at the marathon conferences often tend to talk of being burned out by 'day 4' and 'conference over exposure' is a very real phenomenon. Maybe someone should organise a conference on it!
  • Isaac Akinwumi · Covenant University Ota Ogun State, Nigeria
    Different kind of people attend conferences and for different reasons. Some of these reasons include presentation of on-going and recently completed research works, meeting venue for a research cluster or business group having international members, making new friends and meeting old ones, searching for a new job, searching for new research problem, opportunity to visit an exotic location, avenue to invite people to their own conference or workshops, to foster new collaborations for their organisations, and avenue to administer questionnaires to or interview some people difficult to ordinarily meet with. An attendee's reason(s) for attending the conference influences his/her attitude during the conference.
    Very true Engr Akinwumi.
  • Linas Balciauskas · Nature Research Centre
    Asia is something different, and I will not even try to explain. I just hope, that for the most attendees reasons are the same as mine: to talk about my research, to look what others are doing, to get new contacts, to meet old friends, and, have a good time. The only sad thing is financing.
  • Dr. Yash Singh · M.J.P. Rohilkhand University
    have not attended/tried to attend any so far. hoping to attend one this year. agree fully with Linas
    This year I had a choice of 7 or 8 conferences, all of my interest. Some of these are already "abandoned", as I need to pay myself all expenses. Sad, but true. While others are necessary, as they let me keep score and level.

Question Followers (100) See all