Question

Animal model to study Vascular regeneration

Hi, I am planning to study vascular repair using Carotid artery injury and injecting the cells locally at the site of injury. I would like to know which is the best method to use? If i perform wire injury and inject the cells, i have my own doubts whether cells retain in the injured area! Is it an advantage to use carotid ligation model and inject cells locally? Time point for the experiment is 21days to 28days after injury and injection of cells.

• Wolfgang Schaper · Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research
    Before injection of the cells you should occlude the carotid proximal and distal from the injection site, then inject into the occluded segment and leave it occluded for a few minutes to give the cells the chance to settle into the lesion. Thereafter you remove the clamps and hope that the cells stay and do their job.
  • Piyush Kapopara · Hannover Medical School
    Dear Wolfgang

Nice idea but I am not sure whether cell which get settled can withstand the force by blood.
    There is no "force of blood" in a doubly ligated arterial segment that you had drained before injection of the cells.
    Dear Wolfgang

I am sorry I forgot to mention when you occlude carotide for few minutes then there wont be flowing blood but as soon as you release the occlusion and lets blood flow after few minutes will there be still cell sticking?
  • Christian Heiss · Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
    I guess, it depends on the scientific question you would like to answer. If you wish to answer the question as to whether circulating cells contribute to re-endothelialization in physiology, then they should stick even under flow conditions. (in this case a more or less short period of no flow would help to enhance the signal and establish the model). If you want to develop a therapeutic approach to enhance the process then you may want to make the cells either stickier or give them longer periods of time to attach, migrate etc....If you want to know if circulating cells contribute to regeneration after wire injury per se, then you may want to use labeled cells and also assume they may immigrate via vasa vasorum.... What is the specific question?
  • Don Giddens · Georgia Institute of Technology
    Hanjoong Jo (Emory University) and Rob Krams (Imperial College) use a partial ligation mouse carotid model for studying atherosclerosis. They don't inject ECs locally to my knowledge, but their papers may give insight into some of the vascular biology to expect.

Question Followers (7)