International Journal of COPD

Publisher: Dove Medical Press

Journal description

An international, peer-reviewed journal of therapeutics and pharmacology focusing on concise rapid reporting of clinical studies and reviews in COPD. Special focus will be given to the pathophysiological processes underlying the disease, intervention programs, patient focused education, and self management protocols. This journal is directed at specialists and healthcare professionals.

Current impact factor: 0.00

Impact Factor Rankings

Additional details

5-year impact 0.00
Cited half-life 0.00
Immediacy index 0.00
Eigenfactor 0.00
Article influence 0.00
Website International Journal of COPD - Dove Press Open Access Publisher
ISSN 1178-2005
Document type Journal / Internet Resource

Publisher details

Dove Medical Press

  • Pre-print
    • Author cannot archive a pre-print version
  • Post-print
    • Author can archive a post-print version
  • Conditions
    • On institutional repository, central repository or subject -based repository, including PubMed Central
    • Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License
    • UK funded authors may use a Creative Commons Attribution License
    • On a non-profit server
    • Must link to publisher version
    • Published source (journal and Dove Medical Press) must be acknowledged as original place of publication
    • Publisher's version/PDF may be used
    • All titles are open access journals
    • Publisher last contacted on 20/01/2013
  • Classification
    ​ blue

Publications in this journal

  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) assessment test (CAT) is a validated simple instrument to assess health status, and it correlates well with the severity of airway obstruction in COPD patients. However, little is known about the relationships between CAT scores and quantitative computed tomography (CT) measurements of emphysema and airway wall thickness in COPD patients in the People's Republic of China. One hundred and twelve participants including 63 COPD patients and 49 normal control subjects were recruited. All participants were examined with high-resolution CT to get the measurements of emphysema (percentage of pixels below -950 HU [%LAA-950]) and airway wall thickness (wall area percentage and the ratio of airway wall thickness to total diameter). Meanwhile, they completed the CAT and modified Medical Research Council questionnaire independently. Significantly higher CAT scores and CT measurements were found in COPD patients compared with normal control subjects (P<0.05), and there was a tendency of higher CAT scores and CT measurements with increasing disease severity measured by GOLD staging system. Positive correlations were found between CAT scores and CT measurements (P<0.01). Using multiple linear stepwise regression, CAT score =-46.38+0.778× (wall area percentage) +0.203× (%LAA-950) (P<0.001). Meanwhile, CAT scores and CT measurements in COPD patients all positively correlated with the modified Medical Research Council grades and negatively correlated with FEV1% (P<0.01). CAT scores correlate well with the quantitative CT measurements in COPD patients, which may provide an imaging evidence that the structural changes of the lungs in this disease are associated with the health status measured by CAT.
    International Journal of COPD 03/2015; 10:507-14. DOI:10.2147/COPD.S77257
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a major and an increasingly prevalent health problem worldwide. It has been reported that genetic variation may play a role in the development and severity of COPD. The purpose of this study was to investigate whether single nucleotide polymorphisms in multiple genetic variants were associated with COPD in a Chinese population from Hainan province. In this case-control study, including 200 COPD patients and 401 controls, we genotyped 14 tag single nucleotide polymorphisms and evaluated their association with COPD using the χ (2) test and genetic model analysis. The polymorphism, rs10007052, in the RNF150 gene was significantly associated with COPD risk at a 5% level (odds ratio =1.43, 95% confidence interval, 1.06-1.95, P=0.020). In the log-additive model, the minor allele (C) of rs10007052 in the RNF150 gene (P=0.026) and the minor allele (C) of rs3733829 in the EGLN2 gene (P=0.037) were associated with COPD risk after adjustment for age, sex, and smoking status. Further haplotype analysis revealed that the "CT" haplotype composed of the mutant allele (C) of rs7937, rs3733829 in the EGLN2 gene, was associated with increased COPD risk (odds ratio =1.55; 95% confidence interval, 1.05-2.31; P=0.029). Our findings indicated that rs10007052 in the RNF150 and rs3733829 in the EGLN2 gene were significantly associated with the risk of COPD in Chinese populations of Hainan province. These data may provide novel insights into the pathogenesis of COPD, although further studies with larger numbers of participants worldwide are needed for validation of our conclusions.
    International Journal of COPD 01/2015; 10:145-51. DOI:10.2147/COPD.S73031
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. Age and smoking are common risk factors for COPD and other illnesses, often leading COPD patients to demonstrate multiple coexisting comorbidities. COPD exacerbations and comorbidities contribute to the overall severity in individual patients. Clinical trials investigating the treatment of COPD routinely exclude patients with multiple comorbidities or advanced age. Clinical practice guidelines for a specific disease do not usually address comorbidities in their recommendations. However, the management and the medical intervention in COPD patients with comorbidities need a holistic approach that is not clearly established worldwide. This holistic approach should include the specific burden of each comorbidity in the COPD severity classification scale. Further, the pharmacological and nonpharmacological management should also include optimal interventions and risk factor modifications simultaneously for all diseases. All health care specialists in COPD management need to work together with professionals specialized in the management of the other major chronic diseases in order to provide a multidisciplinary approach to COPD patients with multiple diseases. In this review, we focus on the major comorbidities that affect COPD patients. We present an overview of the problems faced, the reasons and risk factors for the most commonly encountered comorbidities, and the burden on health care costs. We also provide a rationale for approaching the therapeutic options of the COPD patient afflicted by comorbidity.
    International Journal of COPD 01/2015; 10:95. DOI:10.2147/COPD.S54473
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a major cause of morbidity and mortality. The cornerstone of pharmacological treatment for COPD is bronchodilation. Inhaled glycopyrronium bromide is a long-acting muscarinic antagonist developed as a maintenance treatment for patients with COPD. Phase III trials have shown that glycopyrronium produces rapid and sustained bronchodilation with an efficacy similar to tiotropium and is well tolerated, with a low incidence of muscarinic side effects in patients with moderate to severe COPD. A combination of glycopyrronium bromide with indacaterol maleate (QVA149) has recently been approved as a once-daily maintenance therapy in adult patients with COPD. Phase III trials (the IGNITE program) with QVA149 have demonstrated significant improvements in lung function versus placebo, glycopyrronium, and tiotropium in patients with moderate to severe COPD, with no safety concerns of note. Hence QVA149 is a safe treatment option for moderate to severe COPD patients in whom long-acting muscarinic antagonist monotherapy is inadequate.
    International Journal of COPD 01/2015; 10:111. DOI:10.2147/COPD.S67758
  • International Journal of COPD 01/2015; DOI:10.2147/COPD.S77586