SOFIA is a premier observatory for infrared and submillimeter astronomy. A 747-SP aircraft carries a 2.5-meter telescope designed to make sensitive infrared measurements on a variety of astronomical objects. SOFIA is a joint project between NASA and German Aerospace Center, DLR. USRA will operate the SOFIA Science Center at NASA’s Ames Research Center for NASA. The aircraft observatory will be based at NASA’s Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base. The SOFIA science center offers an exciting research environment and close proximity to astrophysics, planetary science, and astrobiology groups at NASA Ames and the SETI Institute.
USRA is seeking a Systems Administrator responsible for systems administration and operation of the systems within a heterogeneous UNIX/Linux, Windows, and Mac infrastructure. Also provides network administration and troubleshooting. The incumbent is expected to function independently with direction from the IT Manager in performance of the duties of the job. Duties of this job require regular involvement with science experts as well as software development personnel of all levels. The job requires skill in team building and continuous process improvement; due to the many separate organizations involved in developing software and hardware systems for SOFIA.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, or another technical field, or equivalent experience
- At least five (5) years of experience in Information Technology as a Systems Administrator
- Familiarity with relational databases and client server concepts
- Familiarity with Storage Area Network (SAN) concepts
- Requires a working knowledge in the application of software systems in the execution of scientific research
Applicants should submit in Word or PDF format:
1. Cover letter with salary requirements and specify if you require an employer sponsored Visa
2. Resume/Curriculum Vita
3. Names and contact information of three references
Use your last name and job number as the document title, example, SmithS1201
E-Mail Resume to: [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]
Universities Space Research Association (USRA) is inviting applications as a part of the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) program.