Publication History View all
[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Aim: In epidemiological studies, peripheral arterial disease is assessed by the measurement of the ankle/brachial index (ABI), thus enabling detection of asymptomatic disease. Our aim was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of a validated questionnaire on intermittent claudication for peripheral arterial disease in a clinical setting. Methods: We administered the Edinburgh questionnaire on intermittent claudication and measured ABI using a portable Doppler in 456 outpatients with type 2 diabetes. Subjects with intermittent claudication and an ABI above 0.9 were examined with color Doppler ultrasound imaging. Peripheral arterial disease was considered to be present when the ABI was <0.9 or the color Doppler arterial waveform was monophasic. Results: Thirty-five (7.6%) of the 456 patients had intermittent claudication. Of these, 22 (63%) had an ABI <0.9 and the remaining 13 (37%) had an ABI >0.9. Of these latter, 12 were reexamined and 3 (25%) were found to have monophasic waveforms in color Doppler, thus being diagnosed with peripheral arterial disease. The overall accuracy of intermittent claudication for peripheral arterial disease was 75% (95% CI, 71-79). Conclusion: Among patients with type 2 diabetes, a normal ABI does not rule out peripheral arterial disease; the use of an intermittent claudication questionnaire is able to identify correctly the disease in 3 out of 4 patients with diabetes. Our results suggest incorporating the intermittent claudication questionnaire into the general consultation instead of the general screening of the ABI.
International angiology: a journal of the International Union of Angiology 10/2013; 32(5):512-7.
Medicine - Programa de Formación Médica Continuada Acreditado 07/2013; 8(27):1416–1420.
[show abstract] [hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: In recent decades the fight against breast cancer has focused primarily on the treatment and secondary prevention (early detection mainly). In the case of breast self-examination, althought it has not been prove to reduce mortality, it is important in cases detected by women themselves (it is estimated 90% of total), mainly in the interval cancers.
To identify within women with breast cancer, how many do self-examination and identify associated factors. Describe the clinical and pathological features of cancers in women who do perform self-examination.
In women diagnosed with breast cancer during 2007 in a hospital in the province of Cadiz, Spain, is reconstructed in retrospect the story related the cancer process: symptoms, psychosocial factors that determine the contact with the health system, preventive practices (self-examination, mammography screening). A description of the pathological tumor: presenting symptom, tumor size, node negative, grade of differentiation.
We studied 149 women with breast cancer, from whom 52% did self-exploration. Women who performed self-examination were younger (54.78 years) against the women who did not (65.63 years), married (66.2%), active workers and have a higher educational level. The assessment of the first symptoms in these women as "important" is positively correlated with those women who practice self-examination. For other preventive practices, women who does self-examination are also the most actives in early detection programs (74.4% against 29.5% which didn't do self-examination). For the pathologic characteristics of tumor in women who did self-examination: the tumor size was 2.5 cm, 50.7/are well differentiated, and 59.1% of cases the nodes are negative.
Women who does self-examination are younger, have higher educational level, are married, are active workers and are often involved in other preventive practices. On them, the tumors diagnosed have a smaller size, are diagnosed at earlier stages and usually present better degree of differentiation.
Revista de enfermeria (Barcelona, Spain) 04/2013; 36(4):8-12.
Avda. Menéndez Pidal s/n, 14004, Sevilla, Andalusia, Spain
Information provided on this web page is aggregated encyclopedic and bibliographical information relating to the named institution. Information provided is not approved by the institution itself. The institution’s logo (and/or other graphical identification, such as a coat of arms) is used only to identify the institution in a nominal way. Under certain jurisdictions it may be property of the institution.